Bolt down Metposts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to build a deck on top of an exisitng concrete slab, I will use bolt down Metposts to hold a couple of posts in place.

The exisitng concrete slab is rough and uneven so I will smooth some concrete to form a smooth, level surface for the Metpost to sit on.

1/. I assume I should use 6 sharp sand, 1 cement?
2/. If I use quick drying cement can I drill through and fix the Metpost the same day?

Any help much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
extra rapid setting cement sets very fast - but you'll likely crack it if you're using expansion fixings the same day as it'll still be fragile .

can you use a concrete in metpost? or have a look at screwfix products 66063 and 85498 (yes, i did look that up, my memory isn't that good mores the pity)

also this skim your using - how thick is it going to be? and 1:6 is a bit weak for me - more like 1:4 for a use like this.

IMO you will get a better result by drilling the holes first, then placing the support with 12mm spacers, then packing the gap with mortar.

I would knock off any especially high spots off the concrete so it is not quite so rough. Position your metpost, drill for the anchors. then use a washer or two as shims so that the four fixing points are sound and the metpost plumb. Then just bed the post base on a thin cement paste/slurry and tighten up your anchors. Basically just using the cement as a grout, and in such a thin layer shrinkage will not be an issue.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice - excellent.

4:1 slurry/grout. Building or sharp sand will be fine I'm sure?

A deck built onto a concrete slab won't go anywhere. Doesn't need fixing down.

i'd always fasten down - timber twists and flexes.

you can't easily fix them at a later date even if you can be bothered to, it's also a consideration of how tall your supporting posts are going to be

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back