Crimea and Scottish Referenda

Sponsored Links
Assuming,maybe wrongly, that you're a norn Irishman, what do you think would be the effect on ulster if there is a yes vote in September?

Scotland gets NI thrown into the deal free of charge..

Don't forget nearly one third of Ulster is not in NI....
The nine county Ulster was an Elizabethean creation for administration purposes, Ulster has been reduced to two counties when it was ruled by the Normans.

The majority of the population in Ulster are Presbyterian, so there will never be a united Ireland.

Similarly here in Scotland, the majority are Presbyterian & support the UK. So Salmond & his bunch of morons are just wasting British tax payers money.

There will never be a YES vote here, the SNP can't even come up with a plan for our fiat currency, they're idiots with no concrete plan for an independent country.

Sponsored Links
United we stand. Divided we fall. No surrender.
God save the Queen.

Assuming,maybe wrongly, that you're a norn Irishman, what do you think would be the effect on ulster if there is a yes vote in September?

There's no such thing as an Irishman. Ireland is a complete unified island, which will never happen.

First of all, 'never' is a bold world to use in statement when so many boundaries have changed.

"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"

as for no such thing as an Irishman - what are you on about? Ireland is an island geographically, regardless of political borders. What do you call someone from Cork then - a Republic of Irelander? Éireish?

Britain will still be an island if the Scots opt out politically, so an Englishman will still come from Britain.

People from NI can choose to see themselves as from Irish, Northern Irish, British or Ulster stock. Are they all wrong too?

Regardless of any votes, I & all Presbyterians in Scotland will be Scottish & British. My father, grandfather & great grandfather fought to keep us free from political extremists like the Scottish Nazi Party(SNP). The queen is half Scottish - her mother was a Scot. We are British & will stay British.

Eire is a Bankrupt republic, that lives off the UK. It's not or never has been an independent country, they have never been a Celtic Tiger - just a Euro Sponger, controlled by corrupt politicians, corrupt Bankers & the kiddy fiddler Roman Catholic Church. So why would any Ulsterman want to join that??!!!

Britain at one time had the biggest empire the world has ever known, and many, many Scots paid no small part in achieving that amazing fact.

Britain at one time had the biggest empire the world has ever known, and many, many Scots paid no small part in achieving that amazing fact.

Indeed. Britain was once highly respected by the world and perhaps even feared by some.

Oh how the mighty are fallen!

Now we are either ignored or even laughed at.

Hi all.

To change the direction of the thread for a wee bit? and possible get some light relief into the debate

If Scotland is as bad as is being painted by the Westminster Politicians of both major persuasions why are they so dead set on keeping it a part of the union?

OK this is not a new thought, it has been floated by many previously

Ken

But with an independent Scotland Ken we just swop London for Edinburgh, the Edinburgers don't care about any other part of Scotland, only Edinburgh!! Their daft white elephants like the trams, the new Forth bridge etc etc etc. Have the SNP improved the A9 or the carpark that is the M8?? Will it change?? no chance!!! I work in Edinburgh, with intelligent people, most of whom don't know where Perth or Inverness are located, let alone Thurso!!

Better the devil you know.

Indeed. Britain was once highly respected by the world and perhaps even feared by some.

Well, as communism become stronger in the UK the empire became smaller.

However, a diminishing imperial power must surely be a good thing, but in a much smaller world of the 21st century, we need to strengthen our trading position. That's why we Scots should stay in the UK & the UK should stay part of the EU.

Regardless of any votes, I & all Presbyterians in Scotland will be Scottish & British. My father, grandfather & great grandfather fought to keep us free from political extremists like the Scottish Nazi Party(SNP). The queen is half Scottish - her mother was a Scot. We are British & will stay British.

Eire is a Bankrupt republic, that lives off the UK. It's not or never has been an independent country, they have never been a Celtic Tiger - just a Euro Sponger, controlled by corrupt politicians, corrupt Bankers & the kiddy fiddler Roman Catholic Church. So why would any Ulsterman want to join that??!!!

Any chance you could try and engage with the questions I asked rather than go off on a rant to avoid them?

This kind of transparent avoidance is all too easy to dismiss. Nothing wrong withyou going off on one but it's a reaction rather than an argument.

I assume you know this.

The people of Eire called themselves Irish but they are not, if you come from Cork you can call yourself anything you like but you're not Irish, as I said Ireland is a complete Island, not made up of two sovereign states or countries. Eire is the Republic Part of Ireland it's not Ireland.

Scotland is country and will remain a country under the United Kingdom & can't be compared with any other country in the world. As said there was a union of the crown in 1603, when a Scottish King became the King of Great Britain. So at that time, and it's changed many times since, Scotland ruled the United Kingdom, including ALL of Ireland of course.

United we stand. Divided we fall. No surrender.
God save the Queen.

There's no such thing as an Irishman. Ireland is a complete unified island, which will never happen.

First of all, 'never' is a bold world to use in statement when so many boundaries have changed.

"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"

as for no such thing as an Irishman - what are you on about? Ireland is an island geographically, regardless of political borders. What do you call someone from Cork then - a Republic of Irelander? Éireish?

Britain will still be an island if the Scots opt out politically, so an Englishman will still come from Britain.

People from NI can choose to see themselves as from Irish, Northern Irish, British or Ulster stock. Are they all wrong too?

How arrogant are you!!!

The people of Eire called themselves Irish but they are not, if you come from Cork you can call yourself anything you like but you're not Irish, as I said Ireland is a complete Island, not made up of two sovereign states or countries. Eire is the Republic Part of Ireland it's not Ireland.

Scotland is country and will remain a country under the United Kingdom & can't be compared with any other country in the world. As said there was a union of the crown in 1603, when a Scottish King became the King of Great Britain. So at that time, and it's changed many times since, Scotland ruled the United Kingdom, including ALL of Ireland of course.

So what do you call someone from Ireland then? As per the question, eg someone from Cork.

Do you deny the right of a Unionist from NI to call themselves British even though they were not born in, or live in, Britain?

How arrogant am I? Just enough to annoy people, but I can still answer a direct question when asked.

Although I'm not arrogant enough to set myself up as the arbiter of what other people can describe themselves as, and not arrogant enough to think that my world view will 'never' change .

Edit - your post suggests that a Cork man can call himself German ,Swiss or anything he likes, as long as it's not Irish. Are you sure Bout that

:cool:

Well, I guess someone from Cork could call themselves German, same as you little Engerlanders are German. Great Britain has had a Hanoverian monarch since 1714....... :LOL:

Well, as communism become stronger in the UK the empire became smaller.

However, a diminishing imperial power must surely be a good thing, but in a much smaller world of the 21st century, we need to strengthen our trading position. That's why we Scots should stay in the UK & the UK should stay part of the EU.

You think it's a good thing that we're ruled by Brussels?

Actually, I don't really care where we are ruled from - Brussels, Westminster, Edinburgh, even Bradford - as long as it is to the benefit of the British people and not the people doing the ruling.

Unfortunately, under our present system, the politicians in Westminster are only interested in themselves and London, and the politicians in Brussels are only interested in themselves and France/Germany. The rest of Britain can get stuffed as far as they are concerned.

Sponsored Links
Back