crimping joint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please can you advise me if a crimping joint is safe without heat shrinkink when it is in touch with metal

Sponsored Links
I am assuming you mean the usual red/yellow/or blue insulated crimps, which include coloured plastic insulation which grips into the insulation of the cable. there should be no exposed metal on a properly crimped straight-through joint.

there are non-insulated and other types available for other purposes.

If it is put inside an enclosure it does not have to be oversleeved

This is not yeollow or blue but blacck sleeves put up after wire joined by hand- is this ok

Sponsored Links
don't think I understand that.

are you able to put up a photo?

Did you see what the tool he used looked like? there are two common grades available (only one of them is satisfactory)

sorry not seen what tool he used- obiovisble not a ratchet tool with coloured joints

we seem to be coming to the view that it might not be satisfactory.

Impossible to tell without seeing it.

If you can post a photo that could help.

What do you mean by "wire joined by hand"?

Many electricians think that kitchen fitters are not good sparkies.

What do you think, Spark123?

I'm a bit confused too, possibly chock block? A photo will help.

Many electricians think that kitchen fitters are not good sparkies.

Of all I've come across I've only met one who had a good grasp of the requirements to carry out electrical work safely.

Maybe I just meet all the bad ones....who knows.

Sorry i dont have a photo - joint obscured by new hooood fitting - wonder wetther black sleeves correct

Black sleeving or heat shrink over a termination made by hand?
Did he use a soldering iron? Or did he just twist cables together?
Did you not see him with a crimping tool at all?

Is that actually black sleeving or insulation tape?

He did'nt use a soldering iron - just twisted the core wires together and slipped black sleeve over (small tube with lengthwise cut so it could fit over) then crimped using pliers and put insulating tape over it. Whole joint is behind metal hood touching metal. Beginning to think its not safe and will all have to come down and get an electrician in. Thanks for your help - this site is invaluable

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back