Crimping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all I’m a heating engineer and I want to do more crimping for ease of wiring etc. Off boilers it’s is 3 core in white sleeping not grey and is about the same diameter off pumps and zone valves.
My question is what width is each individual wire and should I use the blue or red pin type crimp

Thanks in advance sorry if it’s a daft question

Sponsored Links
Red is for 0.5mm² up to 1.5mm² wire.

Wires are measured by cross-sectional area.

The flex in question if loose is likely to be 1 square millimeter,
That fitted to pumps and valves, perhaps 0.75mm².

The squash flat blue and red crimps are not very good or suitable, but are what is used.

Why do you want to do this?
Aren't all the cables in a wiring centre with screw terminals and cable restraints?

Sponsored Links
I was looking at the pin crimps, reason being, wiring loose threads of wire into many blocks on air pumps and boilers are difficult as the space is so small.

On many heat pumps from Europe the wires come with a pin type crimp on the wire. Makes it a lot easier to wire. That’s the only reason

Is there any pitfalls with using them in these circumstances

I was looking at the pin crimps, reason being, wiring loose threads of wire into many blocks on air pumps and boilers are difficult as the space is so small.
Correctly sized ferrules and a proper crimper would be better.

Is there any pitfalls with using them in these circumstances
The squash flat ones are rubbish.

Having been using that style of ferrule for quite a while, I keep meaning to buy some uninsulated ones (like this). I often find terminals where the insulated ones don't fit well, or there isn't space for the insulation (little distance between terminal and cable clamp for example), and the insulated ones are particularly bad if you have to put more than one wire into a terminal. Using the uninsuulated ones gives you the benefits of not struggling with "whiskers", but without the problems that can be encountered with the insulated ones.
I also sometimes wonder what someone coming acroos my work later one might think - it seems many sparks have never heard of them, I certainly recall seeing the spark replacing the CU for a mate struggling to understand why they didn't crimp very well as he squashed the insulation on the ferrules I offered him when he was shortening the RCBO tails :whistle:

Red is for 0.5mm² up to 1.5mm² wire.

There are two main colour codes for insulated crimps. One is French and the other German.

pock a ferrule.jpg

There are two main colour codes for insulated crimps.

But the OP started off talking about this type (so that's what I was referring to)...

s-l300.jpg
ML83E_1

...and was swayed toward bootlace ferrules later. I'd be interested to know if there is a proper spec for this type, i.e. DIN/ISO/IEC/etc?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back