criss-cross lines on ceilings all over.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

and help! I think I've answered my own question, but would appreciate any clarification/correction.

We have started long bubbles in the paint on the upstairs ceilings, the worst runs the whole width of the room, is a good 10 cm across and sagging by about 5 mm. But shining a light across the ceiling shows up lines on pretty much every part of every ceiling upstairs, roughly at about the point you'd expect the edges of plasterboard. (none are less than about 90cm apart) all stretch most of the length/width of the ceiling.

Is this just an extreme case of the paint cracking/peeling with natural contraction/expansion, or something more sinister?

Where there is movement it certainly seems to be just the paint, maybe paint + paper/tape, but definitely not the whole board, I've checked above the main one for moisture and no sign of water or water sources; and as I said, it's there to a lesser extent everywhere.

Edit to add they're not freshly painted, were painted over about 3 years ago.

Edit #2, just got the courage to start poking around a bit, and most of the lines are solid, no movement at all, it's just lumpy, but in perfect lines! only movement in a few areas, still in lines though

any input would be appreciated, especially if someone's seen this before!

thanks.

Jeff

Sponsored Links
Have you got photo you can upload, certainly sounds like it is plaster/joint tape problem.
Are any boards sagging or is it just bubbles/blisters?

Sponsored Links
Have they always looked like that?
and they are every 3 foot or so?
Is that artex or textured paint?

Maybe, I've not noticed it before but never paid that much attention!... It's possible that the few patches of sagging paint are new, and that that's made me look close enough to notice the lines everywhere else,...

Yes, about 3ft

Texture paint.

thanks,

Jeff.

From what I can make out by the photo.
It is the shadows of the joints showing through, I don't think it's your paint work that is causing the problem.
It's the taped joints, they have not been flattened down correctly.
This could be down to either the plasterer or the joint taper depending what finish was applied to the board.
There is no sign of water damage, the boards are fixed up secure and not sagging.
If the house is newish or the ceiling is, I would say square edged boards have been joint taped and not been applied or sanded down correctly.
If you wish to remedy this, I would have the ceiling replastered.
The flacky paint could well be down to the ceiling not being prepped and primed correctly prior to painting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back