Cross battoning loft joists in loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm planning on cross battoning joists in my loft to raise the floor after all my fluffy new insulation has been installed courtesy of Brittish Gas.

thing is i dont know how to best secure the new joists to the old.

i was thinking of using these but a friend says that he just rammed in some screws at an angle and that did the job.

any pros out there got any suggestions??

Sponsored Links
If I were you I'd get the extra joists down BEFORE BG install the insulation. Once they have blown it in you won't be able to see the original joists and you'll have to be clearing your new insulation away which seems a cockeyed way of doing things. Make sure your total depth (old + new joists is equal to or more than 270mm - that's the depth required for the new insulation).
I fixed my extra joists on top (in parallel rather than across) of the original joists covering the main centre section of the loft only, where there was useable headroom then covered with t&g chipboard flooring as it's only used for light storage.
Get the joists down (angled screws are ok to fix), let them insulate, then board over the top.

Sponsored Links
Too late I'm afraid, the insulation is down! I would have liked to do it that way but it took a lot longer than expected to lift all the flooring up!

It will be reused though so worth the effort.

I think ill go for the cheap and cheerful screws aplenty option!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back