Cross bonding in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear all,

Still in process of refurbishing my house and the electrician, Part P qualified, has told me that it is no longer an absolute requirment to install cross-bonding in the bathroom - presumbly earthing for the bath, shower cubicle and sink unit.

This was not the case a few years ago when my previous house was refurbished when these items were all cross-bonded. Can any of you helpful people confirm that cross-bonding is no longer required in bathrooms?

Many thanks for your advice.

Mutley56 :D

Sponsored Links
Sadly your electrician is right for further info read up on 17th Edition regs. the emphasis is on relying on 30Ma RCD's for protection.

still fit the crossbonds if you really want to but not essential (personally I still do it)

if all circuits supplying the bathroom are 30ma rcd protected and you have adequate main equipotential bonding to all extraneous conductive parts then he is correct.

Sponsored Links
Dear kevindgas and 17thman,

Thanks a lot for your advice. Yes, I've checked the consumer unit and everything is protected by 30ma RCDs as you surmised.

Thanks again for your swift replies.

Mutley56 :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back