Cross bonding?

jcp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Following my previous post on the check valves needed when replacing a bathroom suite, I now see there was no cross bonding in place. The house is 1990 vintage, and the consumer unit has MCBs and an RCD on just the socket circuits (lights, cooker, etc not protected).

Should I cross-bond at the basin and (plastic) bath?

There is a heated towel-rail, but it is isolated by a short length (about 30cms) of plastic pipe being used to take the heating pipes through a seriously contorted series of bends as it goes through the bathroom wall.

There is also a ceiling light with cord switch, and a ceiling extractor fan, but no shaver socket.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
It is a slightly complicated senario about bonding in bathrooms!

But a DIYer should not be doing any electrical work in bathrooms or kitchens!

It might also be an idea to have an RCD on the remaining circuits in the house.

Tony

Thanks, but I am not sure that putting back cross bonding (if there was any) that a previous occupant may have removed really constitutes electrical work.

It is a family member's bathroom suite I'm replacing, and certainly I had to put in cross bonding in my own house (with similar split consumer unit) before the days of Part P.

I'll test for earth continuity anyway with my Fluke.

Also, I plan to change the extractor fan - like for like.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back