Crosswater retractable shower installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

Bought a crosswater retractable shower from bathstore "Wash away deck mounted shower handset" or crosswater call it the "Follow me hand shower".

The builder installed it, but it takes quite a lot of effort to push the hose back in and similarly to pull it out. Typically, the instructions have been thrown away and probably not used int he first place. He agreed it didn't seem right so popped back yesterday and took the bath panel off and basically said that he couldn't figure it out.

I had a look last night and think I can see the idea, but not certain. There is a spring around the hose. I would have thought that somehow, when the shower is pulled out that the spring stretches and hence pulls it back in when it retracts making it smooth. I can't see how the spring wold be attached at any point though? Ther eis a small white ring around the hose, but this moves rather freely.

Amy I right in thinking this? Anyone had any experience?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I fitted one like this, a Zoo Deckkit to the end of the bath, it didn't come with a spring; there is just a metre or so of standard shower flexi on the end, which piles up behind the bath when we replace the handset in its holder. Can't you just remove the spring? I've just Googled and looked at a picture and it looks as if the spring is supposed to help pull the hose back. Do you really need it?

Thanks for the response Rigid Raider.

Like I said, it's quite an effort to push the hose back into the bath and if the spring is meant to help it, then I'd like to use it. But still not certain that's what the spring is for.

Sponsored Links
The Crosswater version has a fancy arrangement with a small drain to take spilled water back to the waste. I expect there's a seal below the drain, which is causing friction and they probably fitted the spring to help pull the tube back. I used to own a Land Rover and it was full of bodges like that!

The Zoo version is much simpler and the only provision for excluding water is that once standing vertical in its holder the handset is held in an O ring. If you really splashed water around, a few drops might go down the side of the pipe but in practice it doesn't seem to happen, it might matter if you held it high up in cupped hands and allowed water to flow back down the pipe but for very occasional hair washing or bath rinsing it's not a problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back