Crumbling Brick

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I've noticed one of the bricks on the corner of our house is crumbling; both external faces are affected. I know that you can drill out the brick and replace it, but the brick is directly below the DPC membrane and I don't want to damage it. What's the best way to deal with this?

Sponsored Links
Drill out the bed at the bottom of the brick, then the perps. You should be able to knock the brick free without touching the bed course with the DPC. Then remove the remaining top bed to underside of DPC carefully using a bolster. If the mortar is really strong you you may need to drill to perps as close to the DPC as possible before you attempt to knock the brick free. Hopefully, with a bit of care the bed joint will come away from the DPC. Take it carefully as your own time is free!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back