crumbly concrete under floor

900 mm is nearly three feet. No need to go to that extreme.

There are plenty of threads that deal with insulation in the floor - just do a forum search.

Sponsored Links
Just a quick reply for now, but your builder is talking crap about it spreading, and about neighbours making compensation claims

Thanks woody thats put my mind at rest .The floors are not bulging or uneven and the walls seem fine ,He must be trying it on woody.

:) Thanks for advice woody.

Sponsored Links
Sulphate attack is just one possibility, although it may be more likely than other potential causes, but you wont know unless someone experienced looks at it - and that person should not be a builder who may benefit from getting the job.

If it is related to sulphates, then the main accelerator is water. So you could have a leaking drain and then this will cause ongoing movement, or it could just be a wet summer - which will cause a bit of movement and then stop.

Either way, its not a problem unless it becomes one to you. You can leave it and live with it if you like. Or it may not get any worse for years, or you can just do a repair and it may not last 5 minutes. They point is it could do anything but you just wont know until it does.

If money is tight just leave it

It wont spread to neighbours, but if the neighbours do get something similar then its their problem not yours

You've go no come-back on the previous owners either

Is the finish to your floor definitely the oversite concrete or a crumbly, weak, poorly mixed sand and cement screed on top of concrete oversite. We were screeding floors early 50s
Suggest you check it out before doing anything.
Phone Goldberg for a price to test sample. Good company. Very helpful.
For a cheap cure. Patch floor, remove skirting, fit hardwood threshold to doors, 1200 gauge polythene over floor and up walls, chipboard floating floor, replace skirts. Do it all yourself. Should give you five to ten years. Review situation then
By the way builder taking the p*ss.
Regards oldun ;)

Is the finish to your floor definitely the oversite concrete or a crumbly, weak, poorly mixed sand and cement screed on top of concrete oversite. We were screeding floors early 50s
Suggest you check it out before doing anything.
Phone Goldberg for a price to test sample. Good company. Very helpful.
For a cheap cure. Patch floor, remove skirting, fit hardwood threshold to doors, 1200 gauge polythene over floor and up walls, chipboard floating floor, replace skirts. Do it all yourself. Should give you five to ten years. Review situation then
By the way builder taking the p*ss.
Regards oldun ;)

Not too sure really it does go down very deep if i push my broom into it. Had a roofer round this morning to check on the roof im getting done by another firm soon [wanted 2nd oppinion} he says the problem that he can see is the roof has not got breathable membrane on so is causing alot of condensation which is going down walls causing damp and going into floor hes also told me to get in touch with dynorod to get a free quote and to gett cctv in my drains to eliminate drains faults .

Had a few builders round and roofers the last few months the difference in prices is phenomenal for a full roof the prices have ranged from £3500 to £14000 .

Im going to take up all concrete when im on holiday from work and fit a dpm under the concrete .

Was talking to my girlfriends mum and her next door neighbours have gone through the same problem last year and they dug it out themselves then ordered a cement truck to pour the cement in. Going to get a few tips of them.

Thanks for all advice lads starting to sleep better. I think these things crop us to test us.

Sulfate attack (if thats what it is) wont 'spread' to your neighbours property. If the construction of the neighbours house is the same as yours, they may have the same problem, but it wont be caused by anything spreading from your house

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back