Crumbly wall solution?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am trying to put up a sliding barn door.
I have an old victorian house built 1905.
Wanted a sliding door in my dining room as space is very limited, upon putting in fixings bolts, they are just not gripping and the walls are crumbly, tried some resin too but still not holding, any other suggestions?
Some bolt fixings have taken but not others.picture of bolts and fixing to secure to wall.
258BEDFB-B3F3-4DBD-9B3A-93BA1C9D19A8.jpeg

Sponsored Links
I've put in hundreds of resin anchors in recent years - almost all into ropey Victorian brickwork where shield anchors (Rawlbolts) wouldn't work. The biggest problem is that you often can't guarantee that where you want the bolts to go you'll have decent masonry with voids in bricks and cracked bricks being an issue. An additional probnlem when drilling throughhj plaster is that you simply cannot see if you have hit the middle of a brick (which gives a much higher chance of success) or whether you've hit a ropet brick, or a mortar joint (which invariably fail). We were mainly installing structural steel angle to carry floor joists and at times we had to resort to having extra holes drilled in the steels (both in the same axis as the original holes as well as sometimes having a second row of holes above or below the original) to ensure that we got the holes drilled dead in the centre of a course of bricks. In the worst cases we were achieving less than 40% success (due to porous or cracked bricks), although only two or three times did I ever have to request that the brickies take out a couple of courses of masonry in places and replace them with modern brick in order that we could get a secure fixing (of course, all of this required the OK from the structural engineers and

So, what does your rail look like and is it possible to move the drillings upowards or downwards a little to hit the centre of a course of bricks (this may require the removal of some plaster to confirm)?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back