Cryptolocker virus

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone been troubled with this one and successfully gotten rid of it without a OS re-install?

My mate's picked it up on his Win XP PC and I've run Avast boot scan, Spyware Terminator, Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware.

All scanners found some nasties and deleted them, yet the Cryptolocker banner is still there when the desktop launches.

Sponsored Links
What happens once the virus is rid of and he does a system restore to before the virus attacked.

If he has Cryptolocker on his machine then he is already screwed.

No amount of "Rolling back" will help.

Nuke it and start again

If he has Cryptolocker on his machine then he is already screwed.

No amount of "Rolling back" will help.

Nuke it and start again

Ok thanks for that,never heard of the crypto thing before.

Sponsored Links
Thanks CylonRaider,
I guess that's another good reason to back up on media separately from the machine!
Must remember to do it :oops:

Finally got rid of the warning banner by changing the wallpaper as the deadline for the ransom had passed.

With all nasties found by the scans deleted and all entries in the registry with reference to the virus also deleted, the PC seems in a good state of health.

My mate bought a new Windows 8 PC tower.

It also has McAfee security installed yet a virus that encrypts MS Office documents has managed to get past the security made make an xlsx file unusable, it won't open.

To get rid of the virus in question, there's a software available from MS to clean the virus of a PC.

Sponsored Links
Back