CU Change

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am getting a sparky in to replace and move my CU (as i have converted my garage by putting in some stud walls). The CU will now reside inside the new room that has been built.

my question is, do i have to notify that I am changing the CU??? If I have, then this may cause a slight problem, as i have not applied for a change of use to the garage (I am not removing the garage door, and I view the new room as a temporary stucture within the garage). Or does the sparky notify????

Sponsored Links
under part p changing consumer unit is notifiable, your electrician should do this.

Seems to me you have 2 choices.

1) Find a trustworthy electrician who is not registered, who just does the job properly, and issues you an EIC, but does not involve LABC.

2) Use a registered electrician who will self-certify the work, as then all that LABC will receive is a note to say he's replaced a CU, and they will never be able to tell from that about your change of use.

The last thing you want is a non-registered guy who notifies LABC, as they might then pay you a visit...

Oh Gawd....bloody awkward as usual!!

Thanks for the replies BTW. i must admit to be having trouble getting a sparky in to give me a decent quote for this job though. I am suppying the CU...what i want is it moving about 20" and a 100A DP isolator fitting. Does a qte of £250 sound excessive for this (it does to me!! :( )

Sponsored Links
for prices it depends on what is actually involved,access to job etc, may i suggest you see item 9 it explains it better

Thanks breezer and apologies if i'm breaking the rules.

9a notwithstanding, no it doesn't seem a lot to me. A new CU means that the guy doing it is taking responsibility for the condition of the entire installation. Every circuit and all the main and supplementary bonding needs to be inspected and tested.

Point accepted about the sparky having to test etc.
However I am supplying the CU + 100A isolator and have fitted both to the wall. The spark will have to discon the old one and connect new tails to the isolator and terminate the old circuits into the new CU.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back