CU Help...

W

walkman

I've been asked to change one for someone to comply with 17th edition regs. The old board is old sytle fuses and has no rcd protection. Just thought I'd get some advice on what make, size of cu and type etc to get. Existing circuits that are in the board are 3 lighting circuits, 2 rings, cooker, heating controls supply. Also what is best to use regarding rcbo's and rcd's etc. Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
For what reason does the board need to be changed ie is there any other works being carried out ?

Sponsored Links
Basically because if you really should have said "yes" when you were asked to change this CU you would not be asking the questions you did.

OK - maybe canvassing opinions on MEM vs Hager vs Wylex etc, but not what size and what the relative merits of RCBOs & RCDs are. If you were competent to do the job you would know all that.

So either you aren't competent and shouldn't be doing it, or your post was a wind-up.

1john is leaning towards the latter.

Man some people need to chill a bit on here, was just asking a question. thats what this forums for, right? I am competent enough to do this job, but thought I would get people with more experience than mes advice! Nothing wrong with that i woouldn't have thought.

The forum is called DIYnot.

It isn't, of course, restricted to DIYers, but many people here take a very dim view of people masquerading as someone qualified, competent and experienced enough to be taking money for professional services when in reality they have to ask about basic stuff on a DIY forum.

Well if you want an answer, here it is...

There is no right answer.... it all comes down to cost, the best install is the one that when a circuit is under fault conditions it affects the least amount of the rest of the installation. A budget install is one where a fault on any one circuit doesn't cause every other circuit to fail. It may benefit you more if you said what you intended on fitting and why you chose this and then we can debate the matter logically. On the other hand, as you are doing this for finacial gain, if you supply me with all the details of the job I will design the consumer unit for you for 50% of your asking price to the customer.

Are you a member of a competent persons scheme? Haven't they got a help line for you to call?

As I've already said, I am competent and qualified. What i was merely doing was askin for peoples advice. I was undecided between a few cu's and when i asked other competent and qualified electricians i got different answers, hence the reason I thought I would try and get some opinions on here.

walkman got into a discussion about his competence.

I am competent enough to do this job, but thought I would get people with more experience than mes advice! Nothing wrong with that i woouldn't have thought.

1john asked walkman if he was a member of a competent persons scheme.

As I've already said, I am competent and qualified. What i was merely doing was askin for peoples advice. I was undecided between a few cu's and when i asked other competent and qualified electricians i got different answers, hence the reason I thought I would try and get some opinions on here.

:rolleyes:

Ha, sorry just noticed cousin had left his profile logged on and was posting on his. :D I share this laptop with younger cousin,. Walkman.

Ha, sorry just noticed cousin had left his profile logged on and was posting on his. :D I share this laptop with younger cousin
Haha! That tickled me that did. So your cousin is a spark too then? ;)

Might be a good person to ask about your RCBO query. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back