CU Location.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys, I'm planning on having my consumer unit changed shortly, but am in the early stages.

The house is very old - The consumer unit is currently in a small cupboard under the stairs (Under the bottom 5 stairs to give you an idea of how small the cubbyhole is!)

I know there are regulations to make all services 'accessible'

Can a new consumer unit be mounted in the same place as the old one?

To move it to another location i suspect will cost thousands, as the supply cable an meter are all in here too! and theres only around 6 inches of old lead supply cable sticking out the floor!

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Sponsored Links
Yes, you may put it in the same place.

As you say, moving all the other parts would indeed be a lot of work.

Brilliant - Thanks for that!

Just out of interest - What instance would warrant a CU to be re-located?

Sponsored Links
The house is 1960's with original wiring. I plan to have the house re-wired also.

I was just unsure on where is classed as 'accessible' for the CU - And thought i'd ask some of you experienced chaps your opinion!

Just out of interest - What instance would warrant a CU to be re-located?
I would say a complete refurbishment or possibly a complete rewiring.
Rewiring would only involve longer tails from the meter to the CU.

Accessible - today - would also mean for people with restricted reach although it is difficult to cater for all.
Plus it means it is also accessible to children, but some of these, although not fashionable, can be trained.

:LOL: Maybe very old wasn't a good description.

Its is from the 1960's and the wiring is original. - Whether it is very old can be assumed from there :LOL:

I would say a complete refurbishment or possibly a complete rewiring.
Rewiring would only involve longer tails from the meter to the CU.

Accessible - today - would also mean for people with restricted reach although it is difficult to cater for all.
Plus it means it is also accessible to children, but some of these, although not fashionable, can be trained.

I see - My plan is a rewire. I was unsure on whether i would have to have the CU re-located to another position which would be more accessible.

Thanks for the replies!

I see - My plan is a rewire. I was unsure on whether i would have to have the CU re-located to another position which would be more accessible.
As EFLI has said, you wouldn't have to have the CU re-located unless you wanted it to be. However, in contrast with the situation in which you were not having a complete re-wire, if you were having a re-wire, relocating the CU would probably not involve appreciable additional work.

Kind Regards, John

As EFLI has said, you wouldn't have to have the CU re-located unless you wanted it to be. However, in contrast with the situation in which you were not having a complete re-wire, if you were having a re-wire, relocating the CU would probably not involve appreciable additional work.

Kind Regards, John

So having a rewire at the same time I am 'Required' or 'Advised' to move it to a more accessible position? (I've not quite got my head around the Part M applying to new builds only, or rewires in older properties aswell.)

By not more appreciable work to re-locate, Do you mean using longer meter tails to allow the move?

So having a rewire at the same time I am 'Required' or 'Advised' to move it to a more accessible position? (I've not quite got my head around the Part M applying to new builds only, or rewires in older properties aswell.)
Certainly not 'required', and probably not necessarily even 'advised unless it is in a really 'inaccessible' position (which is obviously a pretty subjective judgement).
By not more appreciable work to re-locate, Do you mean using longer meter tails to allow the move?
Indeed. If the tails had to be longer than about 3m, there might be a need to install ae 'switch fuse' at the start of them (to protect the tails), but that is a trivial issue in the context of a re-wire.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks for the help!

I'll do some thinking! I'd only be moving it a around a meter into a bigger section of the understairs area, but it would make access alot easier and as you say it would be simple enough to do with slightly longer tails.

Thanks for the help! I'll do some thinking! I'd only be moving it a around a meter into a bigger section of the understairs area, but it would make access alot easier and as you say it would be simple enough to do with slightly longer tails.
If you're having a re-wire, then that would seem a very reasonable thing to do - and generations of future electricians might well thank you for making their lives a little easier!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back