CU testing questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A couple of questions about testing a CU replacement in the house

1. Ive got a supply for my garage on the RCD side in the house & then a non-rcd CU in the garage. Not sure if I have to record any test results regarding the garage supply on the EIC when testing the house CU replacement.

2. ON EIC what needs to be put in the 'Next Inspection Due' box when the wiring is already about 20yrs old. Do I put 10yrs (for domestic) & then put a recommendation for a re-wire somewhere on the EIC. Its my house & I've fully tested all circuits.

Heres a link that might be of use

http://energylinx.co.uk/electricity_distribution_map.htm

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
1. Ive got a supply for my garage on the RCD side in the house & then a non-rcd CU in the garage. Not sure if I have to record any test results regarding the garage supply on the EIC when testing the house CU replacement.

Only the submain to the garage cu, not the circuits in the garage.

2. ON EIC what needs to be put in the 'Next Inspection Due' box when the wiring is already about 20yrs old. Do I put 10yrs (for domestic) & then put a recommendation for a re-wire somewhere on the EIC. Its my house & I've fully tested all circuits.

What ever you want upto 10 years, I always go by the IR results if they are low I put a retest date no longer than 5years.

I thought I had finished with this post & then I was looking through the 'Inspection, testing & Certification' book & this is what is says about recording distribution circuits.

"Every circuit, including distribution circuits (submains) must be recorded. The first line of the schedule of circuit details may be used to record the details of the distribution circuit connecting the meter to the consumer unit at the origin of the installation (the circuit incl the meter tails)

An installation may include more than one CU or DB. For example, a small consumer unit may be provided in a detached garage. In such a case, the installation will comprise the circuit incl the meter tails, the final circuits in the dwelling, the distribution circuit supplying the garage & the final circuits in the garage."

I dont disbelieve what comms is saying, but my understanding of this is I need to test the circuits in the garage or have I read it wrong.

Sponsored Links
if you're only changing the CU in the house then the garage is a circuit of said board.. ( unless you split it at the meter using henleys.. )

since none of the circuits in the garage board have been changed, then only the circuits of the house board need to be tested..

you just treat the garage board as you would any other radial circuit..

do a Zs at the garage board incoming "tails" and an overall insulation resistance..

if it was all a new install then yes you would do a test sheet for the main board, and then one for the sub board..

One small point

I would have fed the garage from non RCD side of main CU and fitted RCD CU in the garage. Saves traipsing into house if RCD trips.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back