2 Consumer units

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am replacing a main comsumer unit in a home, and the cable to the garage goes to it's own consumer unit and then onto a number of sockets and outlets.

My question is, do I need to test all the sockets after the garage consumer unit as well and record the results for each circuit in the garage on the EIC, or just the circuit from the house up to the main switch in the garage?

I am recently Part P registered, and have done consumer unit changes before, but never one that then feeds another CU

thanks

Sponsored Links
If your changing the house one then yes you need to test the entire installation, including the circuits on the second DB.

Hi
That was my initial thought, but customer has had 2 other quotes both saying the garage won't be tested as part of the change, only up to the main switch in the garage. Both quotes from Part P registered electricians.

As part of the testing, I would then put the results for the garage side on a seperate schedule of results form, as a continuation and attach a copy in garage as well as Main CU.

why would they believe they haven't got to test the garage?

I am pretty sure that you are responsible for everything further on on the installation, hence needing to test the second DB. This is how we have always done it.

Unless I am wrong??

Your correct in saying about doing it on a continuation form.
Chris

Sponsored Links
I queried the NICEIC tech helpline on this issue a few months ago and they said that I had to check out the sub main only and not the circuits connected to the sub DB. :eek: :eek:

Ah right.. ok. Thats news then. I will have to tell my manager about that.

Thats right, the spark is responsable for testing all final circuits eminating from your main DB/CU as a result of changing the CU.

They will only test the circuit feeding the DB into the garage, no further, you could, however by request be able to get them to test out the circuits in the garage that are fed by its own CU. A wise idea, unless it is a recent addition and you have the EIC for it.

Imagine upgrading a commercial supply of some 800amps or so with several submains and sub-sub mains, with litterally hundreds of final circuits.

If you replaced the mains switchgear, would you test each and every final circuit?

Imagine upgrading a commercial supply of some 800amps or so with several submains and sub-sub mains, with litterally hundreds of final circuits.

If you replaced the mains switchgear, would you test each and every final circuit?

Fair point... :D

Mike

You don't say in your origianl post if the garage board is fed from the house board or if the meter tails are split via henley block and supply the two board separately.

If it is the first then I would say that the garage board is part of the house install and therefore should be tested. If the latter then you don't have to.

SB

Hi

It is supplied via its own circuit within the current CU. So I would be putting it on the non RCD side of a New CU and in the garage it is already going though an RCD protected board.

From the garage it feeds 2 outbuildings and a larger than average number of sockets.

this would involve extra hours testing, and any quote would look unfavourable to others that don't include the garage etc.

If I can test upto garage and offer a like 4 like quote and be within regulatons then great.

but, I will then recommend the garage is tested and quote seperately.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back