Garage electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Breaking into the downstairs ring in a house to add a socket & light in a garage. Ring is on an RCD in the house so just going to put a 2 way CU in the garage. Would I have to do a MWC or a EIC & would I just do the testing from the garage only or all the sockets in the house aswell.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
A 2 way CU on the downstairs ring.?
You could take a 13A fused connection unit from the ring, and then from here take a feed for one or more sockets, and a feed for the lighting circuit, off a second 3A fused connection unit.

You will need to complete a MWC, with the tests on the points you have added. You will need to test the rest of the ring first though to ensure it is in fact a ring, i.e. you have ring continuity of all conductors a the CU and the outlet you tap into.

If its a detatched garage its notifiable.

I've already checked to see if the ring is a ring. I think putting a 13A FCU is a better way of doing it. The lighting is a 36w florry tube & he wants 2 sockets & was even talking about having an electric garage door opener. Would a 13A FCU still be ok to use.

Norv - if you were paying, for example, a professional tiler to do some work in your house, what would you think if you found he was having to ask for advice on a DIY site on what adhesive to use?

Sponsored Links
The way I see it is there is more that one way of doing it, so I'm just asking for advice, thats all

Well if it was me I'd want an incomer in the garage for the inevitable time when you want to turn things off without switching the house off too so a little CU sounds OK. The garage door opener won't take a lot of power. Personally I'd rather not take it from the existing ring just because things have a habit of growing and a clean feed to the garage doesn't sound too difficult.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back