Cupboard and shelving unit idea

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd Ike to make a cupboard shelf unit approx 190cm h 60x60cm. I'd be using reclaimed wood mostly pallet wood and some stairs I found in a skip. They were made from pressure treated I think size is 5cm x 16cm I was thinking using that wood for the 4 legs. My problem is the longest bits are 80cm if I was to scarf lap joint 3 bits, would this be strong enough? Joints would 20cm long on ech bit. I'd glue and screw the joints to fix. The top half would be a cabinet and bottom would have a shelf or 2. It would be on wheels as well. Cheers

Sponsored Links
Stairs and pallets are almost never made from pressure treated timber - pallets are made from the cheapest carp they can get hold of, stair are generally made from joinery grade redwood (at least the stringers are). I'd forget about the idea of scarfing unless you are an experienced joiner - it may look easy, but in reality it isn't that easy (I am a experienced joiner, hence the comment). You are far better off buying or skip diving for single pieces of timber which are the right length as any form of joint will be weak

Last edited by a moderator:
I appreciate that JaK, I'll buy some 2x3. The stairs were actually outside stairs for a project at a house near me and were green pressure treated stuff.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back