Cupboards in eaves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

Our 1913 house was built with a bedroom in the loft-space. We're due to begin a renovation of that room (currently not really used) in the near future, in advance of the arrival of our first child.

Given the age, the lathe-and-plaster is basically dust & prayers, and there's little/no value to the installed insulation, so we're going to be taking the opportunity to rectify this by stripping back to the brickwork, rafters and floorboards, and starting again with a blank canvas.

Plan at the moment is to dab/dot plasterboard to the brickwork, fix plasterboard to the rafters (with spaces now suitably insulated), and then have a professional plasterer come and skim it prior to decoration.

Following this, my partner is keen on us building in some cupboard space under the eaves, but with the goal that, when completed, they can be decorated in the same manner as the rest of the room, thus "fading into the background".

Here's where I'd like your advice, on a number of topics.

* Material - I'm thinking MDF, probably 12/18mm? Hinge wise, maybe piano hinges? and handle/closure wise, something minimalist.

* Construction - I'm thinking a number of "wedges" shaped to the eaves space, with an MDF curtain fixed to the front of this, to create the "wall" with the doors effectively "carved out" of the same material (so that when closed they appear to be part of the curtain).

* Erection - Plan is to build over the newly laid floor (possibly engineered woven strand bamboo) - assuming the construction above is correct, how best to secure the "wedges" to the floor, so that they support the "curtain"?

* Decoration - I'm assuming that simply Emulsioning MDF will result in a surface which looks obviously different from painted plaster? What would be the best way to tie this surface into the wall - Lining paper the MDF and then paint perhaps?

Appreciate all and any help you're willing/able to give.

Regards,

Gavin.

Sponsored Links
My advice is make sure you insulate and ventilate correctly, i.e. the correct thickness of insulation along with vapour barrier and or vents + breather membrane.

You will need an insulating underdraw across the rafters also.

Thanks,

On the insulation front, my thoughts thus far were:

Celotex or similar cut between rafters - thickness I can't yet say (as don't know depth of rafters), but basically depth minus ~50mm, leaving the gap between Celotex and roof-membrane - Is this correct?

Then one of the foil insulation products, stapled to the rafters, across the room, and finally the (prob 12.5mm) plasterboard fixed through this foil insulation to the rafters, then skimmed.

If i'm right, the foil product out to provide enough of a vapour barrier to prevent humidity getting at the rafters, and a 50mm ish gap on the outside ought to be sufficient?

Sponsored Links
just bumping myself to the top incase others have advice...

[[edit]]hmm- appears I have two accounts! I shall have to resolve this![[/edit]]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back