Cuprinol Ducksback Harvest Brown Looks Orange?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After looking for a decent paint for the fence that would keep its colour for a while I decided to go with Cuprinol Ducksback. I was looking for a colour in the medium - dark brown range and thought the Harvest Brown looked about perfect. Autumn Brown seemed very red and Forest Oak almost black. I've tested it on a little area. Applied 2 coats with a brush. The second coat's been on for about 4 hours and it still looks orange, not much like the colour shown on the tin.
Has anyone else used this paint and had similar results? Do you think it may darken as it dries out?

Sponsored Links
Yes looks about right does have an orange tint to it also depends on the surface painted they probably use a nice brand new bit of cedar when designing the colour! ;)

Very hard to get a nice warm colour like the old light creosote which is now unavailable.

There is Creocote which is similar you might like to look at, another thing is the Ducksback is wax base and you will have trouble overcoating the area you have tried with anything else :cry:

http://www.restexpress.co.uk/acatalog/Barrettine_Creocote.html?gclid=CMHz9LPc1MQCFe7MtAod4H0Axg

I have not bought company in the link, it was just as an example of the product and colours , I got mine from the local hardware store.

Thanks for the message footprints. I've had a look at the Creocote but saw a couple of reviews saying it only lasts a year :(
Have you had any experience with the other Ducksback shades.. Autumn Brown or Forest Oak? I saw a post somewhere that said Forest Oak came out quite light.

Only used it once it was rather orange, but in the end I used it up as I had tried several others they all seem to be the same, over-coloured either orange or really red!

I no longer paint fences I just let them go silver and leave it at that.
My daughter used a green one that did not look too bad.

Sponsored Links
I got fed up of looking for alternatives in the end and decided to go ahead and paint it. The colour came out quite nice actually to my surprise!
When fully dry I would say it even has a slight tint of red, a lot nicer than orange :)
Got some Ronseal Weatherproof for the front door and porch windows next, after A LOT of sanding :mad:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back