Curious Focus noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ford Focus hatch, 07 plate, 46k miles.
During 20 mph straight line driving, I can feel a vibration / rumble through my feet.
Speed up a bit and we get more of a drone......swerving to and fro does seem to make things worse, but its quite a noisy car road wise anyway.
With the front end jacked up, I can lift the nearside driveshaft up a little where it goes into the diff......there is certainly some play, but no oil leak.
The otherside one is dual supported so no play there. I don't have another Focus about, so I can't compare anything.
What do you reckon - diff bearings? I can't feel anything wheel bearing wise but I know that doesn't mean much.
The car has also a buckle in its N/S wheel but I changed it for the spacesaver - with minimal difference. I'm wondering if that has upset things.
Any comments welcome! The car is a bit young to have these sort of issues, I feel.
Have a good evening, everyone
John :)

Sponsored Links
how badly is the wheel buckled?
is it possible someone has smacked the curb and done some damage to one of the shaft joints?

I put the car up on jacks, into second gear, clutch out and spun the wheels....I guess the N/S rim has a buckle of 4mm, maybe. Its on the inner edge of the wheel, naturally where its weakest.
I couldn't detect any untrue movement on the drive shaft, but the fact that I can feel play at the inner end spooks me.
The C.V joints feel smooth but I don't want to pop a drive shaft in to find that nothing has changed :p
Don't really know what to do!

I'd start by making sure you have good wheels and tyres all round, then get it in to have the steering, alignment of the wheels etc, checked, can tell you a lot for about £20.

Sponsored Links
The car is due to come to me anyway, for a service, tyres and new discs / pads.
The thing is, if its a transmission issue the sound idea may be to trade it on.
Unusually I think its second opinion time ;)

Update:
I've studied the design of the transmission and driveshafts and I reckon if the car has biffed the kerb at a slight steering angle, that would be enough to wreck the bearing carrier which I think is nylon.....could be new transmission time!
Should find out for sure tomorrow.

Back