rumbling noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a loud rumbling noise (driving me mad) from my peugeot 406(R). the noise stops whe i turn left and gets louder when i speed up.

it has passed a mot and there is no play in the wheel bearings could they still be worn?.

the garage suspects this but does not know which side to change?.

he has suggested changing the left one and if that does not cure it then the right one but at £100 each side i do not want to waste money.

could it be a driveshaft?.

Sponsored Links
It's sometimes very difficult to distinguish which side is worn. I replaced the front right in my 405 because the noise got louder when cornering to the left but it didn't make any difference. Turns out it was the other side, it's the sideways forces when cornering rather than the extra weight that causes the noise. If it's as bad as you say they should have picked it up at the MOT, mine was, and I would have thought the garage would be able to tell. It might be something else that's causing the problem but I can't think what. Sorry!

Rule out the simple stuff first ;)

Does sound like a wheel bearing problem,get a second opinion from another garage as to which side they think it is.It is not a job for diy unless you have the right equipment.The bearings are pressed in and out of the hub using a press or good strong vice and distance pieces.
;)

Sponsored Links
problem was left hand wheel bearing and left/right hand cv joints total cost £489. ouch!

Back