Current on earth?

Okay so this clearly isn’t sorted. I started today transferring all the sub boards from the generator to the mains. Connected up the main house this morning, all good. Worked fine all day, come 5.30 when I had arranged a shutdown, problems started. I reconnected and tested the supply to the first sub board, all good. Re-energised all okay and moved onto the next board. Went back for something and the lights were flickering, contractors chattering etc so pulled the main switch and went back into the house to the main board. Two mcbs supplying sub boards in the house had tripped, banged when reset so isolated the lot. Some rcbos in some of the sub boards had tripped (though not all of them) Reinstated generators and performed a few basic tests and all seemed okay. Left isolated got now. I have reconnected the house to generator and some rcbos are open circuit and some bang when turned on. Managed to jig some rcbos around and get power back on, kitchen board is the worst, most rcbos are knackered so isolated for tonight. Ran extensions for freezers and kettle with customers permission. But I’m stumped. The only thing I can think is a bad neutral, but clearly only showing under load. I was in such panic to avoid any further damage that I didn’t test anything while the lights were flickering etc. But would that really damage the rcbos to the point they are now shorted internally? Would appreciate any thoughts

Sponsored Links
They are all Hager rcbos, with the functional earth, so I wonder if maybe these rcbos have some slightly more sensitive electronics in them

After sitting and thinking a while, Im still on the path of a neutral fault

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back