current requirement of a car stereo?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
does anyone have any idea how many amps a car stereo uses both in use and on "standby"?

I know it's a car stero and an audio device but I thought that this would be the best place to ask..

I have a spare car stereo and some speakers so I was thinking about knocking together a "site radio" in a box.. ( possibly a small toolbox :) ) with a transformer and battery for use wherever..

Sponsored Links
A proper site radio can be gotten for about £25, well that is how much I paid for my dewalt one, even came with a spare battery and it double up as a charger.

So I think it is a bit of a waste of time.

But to answer your question I think they have a 2 or 3 amp inline fuse so can really exceed that and on standby probably 100ma at the most. Obviously depending on the make and model. If it is a 4 X 80W then it will be much higher current consumption.

If you make it please post a picture. It might inspire me to make a competing one as I also have nearly all the parts to make one.

TIP Use a CB radio power supply such as Here as this will provide a nice clean supply and you will get a quality sound.

Happy building

EDIT PS the tittle of your posting makes it seem like you are going to ask what regulations there pertaining to car stereos :LOL:

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Most of them use a 10amp fuse.

Of course it all depends on how many speakers, what impedance the speakers are, and how loud you play it! :cool:

Loverocket probably is a younger member of the forum than me and as such has only seen the boom boom ones

Sponsored Links
basics+of+car+audio.jpg
mobile-dj-art-car.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back