currently not-so-electric shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have a mira sport shower (about two years old), it has a wall mounted switch for the power supply. The switch does not have a little light. Normally when i turn the switch, the lights on the shower come on. However, the lights on the shower are not coming on. How can I determine whether this is a problem with the switch, or with the shower please? THe shower has broken twice before. There's never been a problem with the swtich. This probelm has never happened before though. Any help, very gratefully received. Thanks, Helen

Sponsored Links
Switches very rarely go wrong. The only real way to identify whether the problem is at the switch or the shower is to do some testing but this requires a multimeter and the fact that you may have to test in live situations.

I say may because you could test the circuit for continuity (dead test) but this will involve removing cables from the switch and possibly the Consumer Unit.

Without wish to sound patronising - check that your MCB/Fuse /RCD is on.

Also if you do not feel comfortable working on a live circuit then get an electrician in or contact MIRA.

At your own risk - with the power on test between the live and neutral at the shower. You should get a reading on your multimeter of around 240v if your switch is working.
If you do then do the same test at the shower but this time with the switch off. You should get 0v - which shows that the switch is isolating properly.

It's not necessarily a problem with either switch or shower; it could be a blown fuse or tripped MCB at he consumer unit - check this first.

If the fuse has blown or the MCB tripped, then you could have a serious fault with the shower, or the shower cable. Or the shower circuit may be undersized for the shower.

If the fuse is intact or the MCB has not tripped, then if you have, and are confident using, a multimeter then it's a case of determining if you are getting 240V to the shower when the switch is on. Otherwise it should be a simple job for an electrician to diagnose.

EDIT: must type faster...

Hi, thanks for that. Yes, I thought it unlikely to be the switch.

I take it MCB/Fuse/RCD means my fuse box?

Sponsored Links
Hi, thanks for that. Yes, I thought it unlikely to be the switch.

I take it MCB/Fuse/RCD means my fuse box?

I do indeed.
Depending on how old your electrics are you will either have

A rewireable fuse
An old style plug in MCB
see link http://www.electricalresources.co.uk/protection/fuses/51-bs3036-rewireable-fuses.html

A moden day MCB http://www.screwfix.com/p/crabtree-...ghting-_-Crabtree 32A 1-Pole Type B Curve MCB

and/or an RCD.

If any of these are broken/off then you will not get power to your switch and shower.

Yes - you should have a fuse, or more likely an MCB, labelled 'shower'.

(Possibly also separate RCD if it was a recent addition to an older installation.).

Post a photo if it's not clear, and more help will come!

But basically if everything there is 'on' then the problem's more likely to be at the shower end of things.

Ok, yes, i have a modern one.

Is my shower switch socket likely to have a single switch in the fuse box to itself, or is it more likely to be a switch, say, for all of the house sockets do you know please? Or does it vary from house to house?

THank you.

Ok, yes, i have a modern one.

Is my shower switch socket likely to have a single switch in the fuse box to itself, or is it more likely to be a switch, say, for all of the house sockets do you know please? Or does it vary from house to house?

THank you.

Given that it is a mira electric shower - it MUST be on its own circuit and have its own MCB.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back