No Power to Elec Shower

t78

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello,
when I went to get in the shower this morning, the water didn't heat up.

there is a pull string switch in the bathroom that turns the power on to the shower - this has a light on it but it did not come on when turned on.

I've tried changing the 30A fuse in the consumer unit but that didn't help.

strangely, the shower worked ok 10 mins beforehand when the missus used it. I've lived here for 10 years and never had trouble with it before.

the fact the pull switch doesn't light up suggests that maybe the pull switch is not getting power or is broken? the manual shows this as being wired into the feed to the shower, which seems logical.

the shower unit is a Mira Technology Essentials, according to the manual. Unsure if 7.5, 8.5 or 9.5 kW.

any ideas what could be wrong?

thanks!

Sponsored Links
For a start 30A is too small a supply for any of those 3 ratings of showers, so over time the fuse will eventually go anyway.
Have you got an RCD anywhere in the circuit which could have tripped ? This would suggest a fault, probably with the unit.

Another possibilty is a bad connection which usually are in the shower unit itself or the pull switch. Sometimes also in the consumer unit (fusebox).

Safe isolation and competancy are required to check for this - especially the last one.

many thanks for the quick reply!

yes! I forgot there was a trip in the supply (early morning brain!). which had indeed tripped.
I tried a reset and the pull switch light came on briefly but then tripped out again.

so it looks like I need to get someone in to check the shower unit then...

Get someone to check it all out.

As ricicle said, 30A is too small, which might also mean the cable is too small, so the circuit may need rewiring.

The tripping might be caused by a faulty shower, or it might be that a poor connection has overheated and damaged the cable.

Everything from CU to shower needs checking.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back