Curse those kitchen fitters!!

rjb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When it rains it pours at RJB towers at the moment.

Yesterday my fan oven packed up, but the top oven still works. problem is I'm having my family Christmas this weekend as parents are going away for 'real' Christmas (that's pensioners for you).

Anyway I use a fantastic appliance repair man and as usual he dropped everything and popped round. Anyway he started cursing my kitchen fitter (then went on to curse all kitchen fitters in general!!!) as the lead on the oven isn't long enough to reach when he pulled out oven to place on floor to repair. We managed by wrestling with a work mate, but only then it was just long enough. :evil:

Points 1:
1. Please kitchen fitters use your brains!

2. Am I officially allowed to 'officially' make a very simple alteration and extend cable from oven to FCU so it's easier for access next time? (talking part P 'special location' ) Or would I need to call a qualified sparky.

In reality I know what I may do in this situation ;) ., but officially....?

PS only thermostat gone so he'll repair it on Friday "Hoorah" I hear you all cry.

Sponsored Links
It's not a special location, it's a kitchen.

No doubt you damaged the cable as it got yanked when you pulled the oven out.

The cable betwwen fused spur and appliance is part of the appliance and not really anything to do with Part P.

It's a bit like saying I've had to change my kettle lead, do I need to certify it?

It's not a special location, it's a kitchen.
Good point. Back to the OSG!! Doh

No doubt you damaged the cable as it got yanked when you pulled the oven out.

No we were very careful!!

part of the appliance and not really anything to do with Part P

Good news. Like your logic

Thanks Chaps will resolve the cable myself.

PS Good to vent my spleen now and again aginst stupid practices.

Sponsored Links
The cable betwwen fused spur and appliance is part of the appliance and not really anything to do with Part P.

It's a bit like saying I've had to change my kettle lead, do I need to certify it?

When I was a sparkies mate I would be sent to wire the cooker back in after it had to be removed for access for another trade on site. One day the lads I worked with were wondering what was taking me so long so popped in to check up on me.

For weeks when I had been replacing electric ovens I had been fitting new t+e to them if they were wired in old cable :oops: treating them as part of our work instead of part of the appliance :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back