Help/advise required on new kitchen /extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
Have signed up to this forum to try & get out of a hole I,m in due to what must be the most unreliable sparks & builder I could have come across !!
Have had an extension put on the rear of my 1900's semi to create a larger space behind what was the kitchen.
Problem is , sparks installed new sockets/wiring etc for ring main in kitchen/diner + some additional lighting etc in 'new' kitchen but has only doen first fix.
major problem= kitchen waiting to be fitted deviated form original plan.
Need to run power for the following
1 x 3kw single elec oven ( has 3 pin plug on its power cord )
1x combi oven ; total 3. kw
1x plate warmer 80 W

Now , grief i have is that kitchen fitter ready to install but for love nor money can I get the sparks round to install/re-route & finish his already installed wiring to power to these appliances ( will be in one tower unit )........I have to keep rescheduling the kitchen fitter as the sparks keeps defaulting on his dates.........I keep getting promises of week after next etc etc
Have tried to employ other sparks but 'all' seem well booked up ( good career choice apparently).
Now; I am very competent diy & can easily install new radial circuit to power these up.
What do I need to do to make sure if I do this I comply with reqs etc...?
Hopefully you guys can help me out here.
Mitch

Sponsored Links
There is lots of stuff in WIKI to help you understand how circuits work and the safe routes that they should be installed in, worth a browse over.
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics.
The next important thing is that new circuits require notification to building controls, was the extension work submitted to building controls and was the electrical work included in that application?
Your combi oven will require it's own circuit as it cannot be plugged in.

Thanks for the quick reply,
Yes extension is subject to building control although the 'new' kitchen is where the original kitchen was in the old part of the building.
Have read through the pages but am getting confused with what is allowed etc........
I don't mind waiting for sparky to come back to finish first fix to ring /lighting etc in new extension but desperate to get a few power points in (for oven & combi) so I can get the kitchen fitter in & kitchen cabinets fitted

Although your electrician has let you down, I would really speak to them and inform them that you intend to do the work required to get the kitchen fitted.
What are you confused about, there are so many variables, that you need to expand on what advice you need.

Sponsored Links
Would love to speak with him but almost impossible to get him ( or his bulider) to answer on the phone etc..... countless promises & more promises. Why do these people operate like that?? Just give me a date/day & stick to it FFS !
;
Im confused with the regs.........
I want to ( & fully capable) of running a radial to feed the appliances as described above................BUT , what do I need to do to stay within regs ??

Well - one thing you'll eventually need is a declaration from the electrician that he did all the work and it complied with the Building Regulations.

How much do you still owe the builder? I don't mean actual amount - NOMB, but in terms of work done vs amount paid, who is in front, you or him?

Im confused with the regs.........
I want to ( & fully capable) of running a radial to feed the appliances as described above................BUT , what do I need to do to stay within regs ??
The 3kW oven has a factory fitted 13A plug so requires a socket outlet plug in to as will the plate warmer.
The combi oven if not factory plug then requires it's own circuit a 16A or 20A radial circuit will do, this can can be run in 2.5mm T&E or you could go down the route of installing a 6mm T&E radial, this will allow for upgrades up to 15kW.
But you should read through the manufacturers instruction supplied with the appliances, as these should be followed.
But to give you a crash course on installation methods would be near impossible. As I would be at least doing the dead tests on the circuit prior to kitchen being fitted.

Understand whats required to be fitted regards cable sizing etc but can I do this & get certification from building control ?

Understand whats required to be fitted regards cable sizing etc but can I do this & get certification from building control ?

It doesn't have to be done by a sparkie who can self certify. Anyone is at liberty to do the work, and then get it inspected by BC just like other aspects of the extension work.

Is the existing elec. work still accessible so that it can be inspected for safe cable routing etc. if necessary?

I think I would be tempted to speak to BC , explain situation, say that you are going to finish off the work and ask them what they want to do about inspecting it.

Just one final thing; as the oven has come with factory fitted 13 amp plug Im assuming it would be allowable to plug it into a ring main if it (socket) were accessible.
Is this correct?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back