Using old shower supply cable for oven.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

With regards to an earlier post a few weeks ago regarding extending ring main into a new extension, just to update all who helped, my BCO officer wouldn't have it. I had to install new ring then get a periodic check to say all was ok.

Still wasn't that bad and he was very helpful.

My next question is as follows. I am fitting an electric oven and a comby microwave oven.

The oven is a fan assisted one and the combi microwave oven has a total power consumption of 2.5kw. I think the oven is also about 2.5kw although i am not sure (will check and confirm) I only have one ring main which feeds both upstairs and downstairs plug sockets so i don't want to overload the ring by simply spuring from the ring. (dishwasher, tumble dryer, and washer planned as well)

I had an elec shower in the bathroom that has been ripped out directly above the kitchen where the new cooker is going to be fitted. The elec cable is still there altough issolated at the CU. The simple solution would be to simply run the cable that is still there down into the kitchen after i chase the wall. This would then provide power for the combi oven and elec oven independantly from the ring main.

I understand the point about part P and not messing with elec in the kitchen but if this was a job i was to offer a spark, would it be ok to re direct the cable and use for the cooker ? also, what would he use as a final supply point in the kitchen for the ovens ? would the mentioned spark use some type of fused spur with 2 outlets ??

cheers for your help and thanks in advance for any info :)

Mick.

Sponsored Links
Mick Leek said:
Hi all,

With regards to an earlier post a few weeks ago regarding extending ring main into a new extension, just to update all who helped, my BCO officer wouldn't have it.

On what grounds wouldn't he have it?

I had to install new ring then get a periodic check to say all was ok.

I seriously hope they paid for the PIR they wanted you to have out of the money you gave them for notification....

Still wasn't that bad and he was very helpful.
Hmm

The oven is a fan assisted one and the combi microwave oven has a total power consumption of 2.5kw. I think the oven is also about 2.5kw although i am not sure (will check and confirm) I only have one ring main which feeds both upstairs and downstairs plug sockets so i don't want to overload the ring by simply spuring from the ring. (dishwasher, tumble dryer, and washer planned as well)
That could well have been the reason the BCO wouldn't have it, I'd have still have made him point me to the relevant regs tho, just to keep him on the ball :p

I understand the point about part P and not messing with elec in the kitchen but if this was a job i was to offer a spark, would it be ok to re direct the cable and use for the cooker ?
As long as the circuit complies and is of sufficent rating it won't be a problem

also, what would he use as a final supply point in the kitchen for the ovens ? would the mentioned spark use some type of fused spur with 2 outlets ??
You can get cooker connection units that are designed to take two cables, or you could take it to a mini cu and make it into a submain, Or you could just take 4mm² T&E from the cooker connection point to a couple of FCUs

cheers for your help and thanks in advance for any info :)
Mick.

NP :)

EDIT: Does anyone know if part P actually applies in the russian federation? :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back