cooker/kitchen ciruit problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have the following.

4mm T+E cable serving a DP cooker switch con. to elec hob. 30A fuse

2.5mm T+E cable ring main, serving 5 double sockets (washing mach/fridge/toaster/kettle/spare) an Oven and Oven/Microwave combi. 30 A fuse

The 2 ovens are rated at 3kw each meaning a total of 6kw.

Basically when the ovens are on while cooking the load side of the fuse holder generates a considerable amount of heat.

your thoughts ?

Sponsored Links
6KW is roughly 26A.. fine for the fuse, but the connections at the fuse holder may need to be looked at and tightened..

it's best to get a sparky in to do this and get the installation checked while your at it if you're not happy with it...

You possibly have a loose connection or a poor/worn contact on the outgoing cable or where the fuse/mcb mates with the outgoing blades (if the mcb is of the plug-in type)

The design of the circuit is a little poor as with 2 ovens on you are drawing around 25 amps which does not leave much to play with for any other appliances.
If this circuit runs with a lot of appliances on for a significant amount of time you run the risk of the protective device operating.

This isn't actually in my house but a friend of mines.

He had his kitchen redone around 12months ago complete package including the sparky side.

I'm a spark myself and had a phonecall from said mate stating a fishy smell was coming from his consumer unit, he verbally gave the description I listed above.

I've since had a look at it and the connections within the DB are loose, I've since swapped the ciruit onto a spare way.

Still not happy with the circuit arrangement but will look at this in the new year.

He was very concerned about xmas dinner ! but the remedial work sames to have calmed his nerves.

I think I'll look to replace his old wylex board with a a new consumer unit next year sooner rather than later.

Thanks for the posts guys

Sponsored Links
I'm a spark myself and had a phonecall from said mate stating a fishy smell was coming from his consumer unit, he verbally gave the description I listed above.
So why ask us what our thoughts were?

If you're a spark, wasn't a description of something getting hot and giving off a fishy smell when under heavy load pretty obvious to you?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back