Separate electric oven & hob into single cooker outlet?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What is the preferred method to connect two separate appliances into a single cooker outlet?

I don't have the specs to hand but iirc both the oven and hob (electric) said they should be wired on a minimum of 2.5mm.

The circuit is fed from a 30A rewireable fuse, via 6mm T&E, via a 45A cooker switch (no socket outlet) to the cooker outlet.

The oven is sited in front of the cooker outlet with the hob directly above.

Would it be acceptable to use 4mm for each both from the one outlet, assuming I can get a pair of 4mm's into the terminals?

Sponsored Links
to be sure the correct size cable is fitted you need to tell us the appliance loading details, if both appliances are above the max allowed for the existing cooker supply you may also need a new supply putting in.

I'll have to double check but I'm pretty sure they are both quite low loads, low enough for them both to be on a 30A circuit anyhow.
I don't have the spec sheets to hand at the mo.

to be sure the correct size cable is fitted you need to tell us the appliance loading details, if both appliances are above the max allowed for the existing cooker supply you may also need a new supply putting in.

Heard of diversity?

Sponsored Links

Heard of diversity?

Explain yourself, course ive heard of diversity.
What I was saying there was say both the hob and cooker were totalling 7kw plus, a new circuit would be needed to split the loading.
However if the hob say pulled 4kw and the oven needed only 2kw then they could both go on the existing circuit.

Ok, so I have the spec sheets in front of me.

The oven has max load of 2.075kW.

Hob has max load of 6kW.

Can I apply diversity to this though? I mean how often do you have all four rings on and the oven at max?

If I can then I'm guessing both of these will be OK on a 30A supply in 6mm. Then I could wire each in 4mm T&E from cooker connection unit, 4mm is good for 32A (iirc) in free-air.

Thing that worries me is that fuse rating for oven says min 15A, max 20A. Does this imply the oven has no internal fusing maybe? Or is it just so that people don't install a 2.5mm flex onto a 30A circuit (they suggest using 2.5mm)?

I would suggest fusing the oven down using a FCU, make sure you use a FCU with nice big terminals (e.g. a MK one) and fit it to a nice deep box.

Plugwash, so how is best to do that?

The cooker connection unit has terminals to accept 10mm, so I can't get two 6mm's in.

How can I connect an FCU into the same circuit, and use the oven connection unit to connect to the hob?

If I had the room, I'd spur from the supply to the cooker plate, and mount the FCU next to it, but as I say I haven't got room in terminals to do that.

Or do you mean wire the FCU from the load side of the cooker outlet? Wire the hob in 4mm staright from cooker outlet, then take another 4mm from there to the FCU, then out to the oven?

If the oven is 2kW then 13A fuse in the FCU should be sufficient.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back