Cable on new replacement oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am replacing a oven under a gas hob (cut into the worktop). I purchased an oven which requires a 13 Amp (Requires hardwiring to a fused spur) connection.

The old oven was connected into a cooker switch via a 6mm T&E cable.

I didn’t realise that the new oven doesn’t come with a new cable and instead, used some 2.5mm T&E cable that I had. Is this adequate?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
That's fine as long as you have a 13mm fuse between the cooker and the 6mm old cooker connection

Are you wiring 2.5mm² from oven to a fused connection unit ?

2.5mm2 T+E isn't really suitable, because it's not flexible enough.

All the cores are solid, it just hasn't got the flexibility.

That said, it was always the norm to use 6.0mm2 T+E to go straight into an oven, the cores of this are stranded - though not the earth for the last 50 or 60 years.

Sponsored Links
The 2.5mm isn’t flexible but it seems to have fitted ok and tucked behind the oven.
Also, I didn’t notice any fuse in place. There’s a cooker switch above the worktop and this feeds a connection point (no fuse) behind the oven and I have wired my 2.5mm cable straight into here - in the way the 6mm cable was connected.

It's a lot more pliable than 6 mm !!
Heat resistant flex would be better ,but I doubt you will have any issue with T&E. Its not as though the oven gets moved very often.

If you have a 'connection point', easiest thing may be to replace that with a 13amp unswitched fused connection unit, and from there use some 1.5mm2 3core heat resistant flex.

Should the previous oven have had a fuse too?
Also, is the size of the MCB significant?

Should the previous oven have had a fuse too?
Also, is the size of the MCB significant?

The old one was probably sufficient large enough that it's power draw was too large for a fuse connection so the protection was at the RCD

You need a fuse now as the oven doesn't draw enough power so should it fail it will have no protection and is a safety issue.

Previous oven probably only needed the MCB.

The size of the MCB is not really significant, as at a guess it something like 32 amp.

Fitting the unswitched fused connection unit would be easier than finding and fitting a smaller MCB, and will satisfy the manufacturers instructions if we care, and also allow you use 1.5mm2 flex, which is possibly easier to obtain than 2.5mm2 flex (for a DIYer at least).

Can I replace this with a switch/socket that is fused to save me pulling out the oven again?
upload_2020-12-18_8-59-34.png

Providing that you dont mind a length of cable permanently plugged in to the socket.

Easier to put a fused connection unit in. This is (after all) what the instructions require

Changing to a double socket is a lot of effort just to save you
pulling out the oven again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back