Extension Lead

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Excuse my complete lack of knowledge when it comes to electrics in advance, hence the warning. Please also note that I will be getting a spark out but was just curious.

Long story short, I had a bathroom downstairs when I moved into my house. I have had it moved upstairs and turned the room into a study. There are absolutely no electrics in the room apart from the ceiling light. Obviously in an ideal world I would get a spark out to install new electric sockets in the room however the house is fully decorated and TBH I couldn't cope with more wall tracking. My only solution is to run a switched extension cable from the kitchen into the room (not ideal I know). Currently the boiler is connected to a fuse box and then ran into the kitchen to a plug which I switch on and off to turn the boiler on. My plan is to connect the extension cable to the socket next to the boiler in the kitchen (again not ideal I know) however my question is is there any way the extension cable can be connected to the fuse box in the same way the boiler is? And if so would this mean that when I turn the boiler plug on (the one in the kitchen) would this mean that the boiler and the extension cable would have to be on simultaneously or is there a way a spark can work around this?

The first photo is of the extension cable from the study. The second picture is me holding the boiler cable that runs into the kitchen wall plug.

Thanks an sorry for the long post!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    99 KB · Views: 195
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    86.2 KB · Views: 222
Sponsored Links
If you intend on plugging an extension lead into a 13A socket and the lead takes a safe route then OK, if you intend to install a 13A socket or FCU in order to power an extension lead then the question is what it the supply your adding the socket or FCU to?

So in general an extension lead should be visible throughout it's length, should not pass through door ways, or any other item likely to cause damage to it.

To add a socket job one is identify the supply. You could have a 6A supply dedicated to the central heating, you could have a 16A supply, or you could have a spur from a 32A supply, job one is find out what supplies the socket or FCU you want to extend from.

I understand not wanting to use something which will need decoration after, it has just taken me two days to fit one extra socket in my mothers house, by time I include re-plastering and painting the wall, however not 2 days solid there was waiting time for plaster and paint to dry.

However with some thought there is normally a way, the supply to kitchen was done by using SWA cable around the outside of the house. With trunking and planning you can often follow skirting or door frames and find a way, however I used some half round stick on trunking as a temporary two way light for mother and when I came to remove it, plaster stuck to it, also had it where it has fallen off again, normally I use decorators caulk to both make it look a little neater and help stick it to the wall.

So start by finding what you have, spur or radial and MCB, RCBO, fuse and if already RCD protected or not, then look for routes once you have a suitable supply.

Please also note that I will be getting a spark out
Well she will be by far and away the best person to work out how to supply the sockets you need in that room. She can see all the details of potential routes which we can't.

Get her in now, and let her work out the best way to do it. You might be quite surprised.

Thanks. I may be able to get around it by running the cable around the door and into the kitchen with some trunking. The only issue I've come across is the architrave on the door at the bottom. Would it be possible to cut the bottom bit a few inches and put the extension lead under there then into the kitchen. The bit in having an issue with is only about 4 inches

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    168.4 KB · Views: 139
Sponsored Links
As the boiler supply is on a plug which is plugged into a socket it is already an extension, best option is to get an electrician to install 'fixed wiring' for both boiler and study, a long drill bit through the wall from the kitchen ! Will do the job properly :)

DS

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back