Curtain Pole woes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've got a problem with installing curtain poles in my lounge.

Firstly I encountered a lintel which made drilling really hard. I got a new hardened drill bit from the diy store to sort this out for one window i got the holes deep enough. The weight of the curtain pulled this away on one end where the plaster had been weakened. I have grip filled the holes and refilled around the holes but still any pressure is pulling the plugs out.

The other window is a similar story but never even got to putting curtains up. When drilling the drill goes wandering when it reaches the lintel and cannot get far enough in. I think the drill bit is now blunted. I've tried to grip fill these holes also but again any weight on the fixing pulls the plugs straight out again.

Any advice on how to fix this before I make it any worse?

Many thanks,

Mark

Sponsored Links
Here is copy of a post I made a while ago about a similar problem where the lintel above was causing problems.

As a rule the lintel will only go about 6 inches past the window opening. The simplest answer is to fit a wooden batten wide enough to get a good wall plug fixing at each end with a masonry / hammer drill. You can add a couple of fixings mid way, even if they don’t go in far they will still help to pin it. Put a good squirt of no nails on the back and scratch the plaster to get a good key before finally fixing into place. Paint the batten the same colour as the wall and then fix your rail / pole to that.

Hope it helps,
footprints

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back