Fitting a curtain rail using batten

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just wondering if anyone had any advice before I embark on this. After attempting to drill holes for a new curtain rail and discovering a steel (I think) lintel, I've decided the easiest solution is to nail a 1 inch thick wooden batten with masonry nails into the wall and screw a simple curtain rail to that.

Is there any benefit in hammering the nails in at a slight angle (downwards, into the plaster) as opposed to flat horizontal? It seems this might provide a bit of counter balance to the weight of the curtains, or am I wrong.

Any other tips/common pitfalls would be appreciated (I'm a total newbie at this)

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
Londoner said:
Just wondering if anyone had any advice before I embark on this. After attempting to drill holes for a new curtain rail and discovering a steel (I think) lintel, I've decided the easiest solution is to nail a 1 inch thick wooden batten with masonry nails into the wall and screw a simple curtain rail to that.

Is there any benefit in hammering the nails in at a slight angle (downwards, into the plaster) as opposed to flat horizontal? It seems this might provide a bit of counter balance to the weight of the curtains, or am I wrong.

Any other tips/common pitfalls would be appreciated (I'm a total newbie at this)

Cheers!

No dont nail it'll fall down when you pull the curtains. Dont suppos you can see trace's of where an old baton used to be? Usually when steel lintels are fitted they have wooden grounds inserted and a baton screwed to these. If not you really need to drill and tap at least three holes depending on width. Might be best if you put this question in building :idea:
for a better responce.

If you put a narrow screwdriver down the hole you've drilled, if it feels smooth and sounds hollow when tapped then it is a steel lintel.

If it feels rough and not hollow it is concrete.

For concrete you need an SDS drill.

For steel you need an HSS bit.

Nails won't work.

Can you raise the curtain rail up a bit past the lintel?

joe

Sponsored Links
confidentincompetent said:
No dont nail it'll fall down when you pull the curtains. Dont suppos you can see trace's of where an old baton used to be? Usually when steel lintels are fitted they have wooden grounds inserted and a baton screwed to these. If not you really need to drill and tap at least three holes depending on width. Might be best if you put this question in building :idea:
for a better responce.

Thanks. I've reposted it in Building. Maybe the moderators can merge this thread with trhe other one somehow?

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=328253#328253

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back