Curtain rail and batten fell off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Whilst we’re redecorating the bedroom, swmbo hung some clothes on the curtain rail (against my advice!). After a week, the curtain rail and batten have been ripped out.

I’m keen to refit but the holes are a big for brown wall plugs. Can I use some sort of adhesive or grip fill type product to secure the wall plugs and then rescrew in the batten?

Or is there a better option?

Sponsored Links
Post a photo if you can, what is the wall construction? Usual advice is to fit a batten extending beyond any lintel onto solid brick either side of the window use no nails or similar on the back of the batten and screw firmly into the brick either side. Then screw the rail to the batten, and fit a hook on the door for swmbo to use!(y)

9CB8BB42-607D-42A6-98D6-6FAD1A3F6A7E.jpeg

Red brick wall + plaster + skim. No idea if concrete or steel lintel (but some of the door lintels in the house are concrete). It’s been papered over but there are four holes. One at each edge of the window, and the other two evenly spaced apart.

Adhesive on the back would stick to wallpaper only.

As for hooks, I bought some for the missus but she took them down because she didn’t want bits of wallpaper going on the clothes!

Sponsored Links
Wider batten and long screws into plugs at least 6 to 8 inches past the window to clear the lintel. Then strip wallpaper behind batten and glue to the plaster. It may well be just plasteboard over a lintel above the window.

Either paint or paper the batten to match.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back