Curtain Rail Fell Off, Broken Plaster!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We arrived home yesterday to find our curtain rail had fell off and removed a bit of the plaster where the rawl plug was in the wall.

What i would like to know is how do we repair this (polfilla?) and can the batton holding the curtain rail go straight back into the same position?

Thanks for all your help, we've only been in this house a few months now!!

Thanks

Mundo

Sponsored Links
I would move the fixing screws 1/2" to one side of the original holes if you possibly can; & as jb says, use longer screws next time. ;)

when you have drilled your new hole (at least an inch into uncracked brick or concrete, since plaster or filler has little strength), a trick I recently learned, if the plasplug is a loose fit, is to squirt NoMoreNails or similar deep into the hole, and push your plasplug into that. When it has set, the plug is held firmly into the brick with no looseness or room to move. Using this method you can use the old hole, but you will need to make it deeper and clean out the dust. let it set overnight before you drive your screw in.

The plug has to go deep into the brick, and the screw has to reach deep into the plug. It is best to have the end of the plasplug recessed below the surface of the plaster, and this will reduce risk of cracking.

Check or replace the other screws on the curtain rail while you are working, as they are probably all equally poor.

Sponsored Links
when you have drilled your new hole (at least an inch into uncracked brick or concrete, since plaster or filler has little strength), a trick I recently learned, if the plasplug is a loose fit, is to squirt NoMoreNails or similar deep into the hole, and push your plasplug into that. When it has set, the plug is held firmly into the brick with no looseness or room to move. Using this method you can use the old hole, but you will need to make it deeper and clean out the dust. let it set overnight before you drive your screw in.

The plug has to go deep into the brick, and the screw has to reach deep into the plug. It is best to have the end of the plasplug recessed below the surface of the plaster, and this will reduce risk of cracking.

Check or replace the other screws on the curtain rail while you are working, as they are probably all equally poor.

JohnD is diynot's resident screwing expert.:cool:

I'm quite a novice, but have always found both John D and Noesall's advice worth acting on!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back