Curved Bottom Step

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am looking at refurbishing my existing stairs and want to install a d-shaped bottom stair. Anybody got any advice how to do this? Can I buy a pre-made tread?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
google the various stair manufacturers and retailers. they will sell you every part of a flight of stairs.

What you propose might be either relatively straightforward or pretty complicated - it depends on what you have now.

When you say "D" do you mean a double curtail with a curve on each side or a single where your staircase is against the wall.
Amazingly a quick squint around the internet seems to reveal that you can buy such items off the shelf, but whether the goings rises, widths and notches around newels would work is another matter.
Please don't take this the wrong way, but if you don't think you have the ability to make the tread, do you think you have the ability to complete the whole project.
If you do I would be quite happy to try and talk you through how I have replaced broken curtails in the past.
Replacing a standard tread may throw up some slight issues of it's own; if your existing bottom tread is completely or almost completely within your bottom newel, then your tread with the curtain will end up having a larger going than the rest of your treads and this could make walking onto and off your staircase a bit strange, I would expect you would need a minimum of an extra 100mm to get a decent curve on the bottom tread, a standard curtail is usually almost all of the going of the tread.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back