Wood flooring meeting with bottom step of stairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - we have recently replaced the carpet at the bottom of the stairs with real wood flooring, however are now struggling to find a product (scotia?) that is flexible enough to follow the expansion gap around the curve of the bottom step. We are still waiting for the oak skirting to arrive but desperatly want to crack on and find something to fill the gap. The carpet on the stairs will stay for now but be replaced at some point (and does not fill the gap). Any ideas what we can use to fill the gap??

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
nosey - is the curved riser at the base of the staircase going to be painted?

Is this the vertical bit of the bottom step? (sorry-bit of a novice!) This is carpeted at the moment and was imagining that this would be recarpeted when i finally get it replaced. If its easier and would look ok i could paint it instead...would this help/would it look a bit funny?

Thanks

I think the answer is to use thicker underlay under the carpet covering the bottom riser. Hopefully this would make the carpet cover the expansion gap.

Sponsored Links
I always cut tight to the bottom riser of a staircase, if the end grain runs into the riser then there will be negligable expansion along the grain of the flooring and unless the hallway is exceptionaly wide then the expansion gap under the skirting on the opposite wall should be sufficient if the riser meets the cross grain.Never had a problem.

nosey - the reason I asked if the bottom riser (yeh, the vertical bit) was going to be painted is that you don't have to obtain an 'oak' trim to follow the curve (what you are creating is a trim which looks like part of the stairs and not the floor). Painted risers and treads are seen where the staircase is carpeted with a runner.

This trim can be made of softwood (or mdf) which has been kerf cut across its back edge to allow for easy bending around a curve. Once bent and fixed in position it can then be painted to match the stairs and will look as if it's always been there, not like a bit of added floor trim. If you fancy this method post again and I'll offer more advice.

So in theory could i do this but then carpet over it?
Symptoms is describing a staircase which has a carpet running down the middle with paint or varnish on both sides of the carpet. This was the standard arrangement until wall to wall carpets became popular in the 60's. So, if you intend to do wall to wall carpeting (ie side to side) on your staircase, you can use my suggestion of fitting extra underlay to cover the exp gap. If you will have some painted area to the side of the carpet, take up symptom's idea. If you haven't yet (had) laid the flooring, do not have an expansion gap but do ensure that the opposite end of the flooring has a 10mm gap. Don't make it bigger than that because the overlaying trim is only 12mm wide.

If you haven't yet (had) laid the flooring, do not have an expansion gap but do ensure that the opposite end of the flooring has a 10mm gap. Don't make it bigger than that because the overlaying trim is only 12mm wide.

Not having an expansion gap at one end of any room, no matter where - like the staircase for instance - will render all the gaps you do have useless!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back