Laminate floor to staircase with expansion gap options

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am starting to plan a project to lay laminate flooring in my hallway.
Already I can see an area which will not be as straightforward as the rest of the area.

The area which I can see me having problems with is when I reach the bottom step of the staircase
The stairs are carpeted so once I have left the expansion gap I am not sure how to finish off the gap where the laminate will meet the vertical part of the carpeted bottom step....

What are the best possible solutions to hide the gap and make a decent job of it?

Thanks
Rob

Sponsored Links
Pull the carpet away from the stairs, fit the laminate up to the stairs and leave the expansion gap (maybe slightly narowere than you normally would), then turn the carpet underneath itself, and hopefully, it will then be thick enough to cover the gap. If it isn't then you need to fit a strip of wood over the gap, and then nail the carpet to the the strip of wood.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back