Expansion gap and newel post

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I'm just about to lay my laminate floor in the hallway and have a couple of questions. I'm going to leave an 8mm expansion gap around the edge and then put new skirting boards on to hide it, but what do I do when it comes to my staircase newel post? Any help on this and any similar problems I might encounter are very welcome.

Thanks

Andy

Sponsored Links
Round stair post: cork strip in expansion gap
Square or regtangle post: flat beading to cover expansion gaps

If your feeling brave the neatest way to fit around the post is to undercut it slightly and tuck the flooring underneath. To do this place a scrap bit of laminate and underlay on the floor. With your saw sideways use the piece of laminate to guide you for height as you saw about 6mm (all round) deep into the post. Remove the wood below the undercut with a sharp chisel. Lay the laminate with so the cut edge is just under the post, making sure the is still some space for expansion. This is also the same way you should undercut your doordrames/architraves. Although this is perfectly possible with a normal hand saw, there is a tool called the Fien Multimaster which is perfect for this job, you may be able to hire one form your local tool hire shop.

www.interiorharmony.co.uk

Sponsored Links
Just be careful not to cut to much of, it could jeopardize the construction of your newel post (as we have seen some times)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back