Curved window framing advice?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just picked up a big curved piece of toughened glass that was once a counter. It has a span of about 2.62m and from this the arc centre is 0.235m so using an online calculator the radius is 3.77m. The height is about 30cm, and there's 3 pairs of holes drilled through it where it was attached to metal stalks and the counter.
I'd like to use this as a feature in a garden studio along the main front elevation- a long curved window.
I'm planning to build the studio exterior in 15mm OSB(exact same thickness as the glass) with "faked" vertical battens to simulate vertical cladding.
Any ideas on the best way to attach the window and seal it from the weather?
The two centre holes could be attached to a stud for security.

Any ideas? Making a proper frame looks like an expensive and complicated option?

Sponsored Links
Not sure they would be any use, they would need to be bendable for a start.
Think the best solution is to use the glass as a template laid flat on the 15mm boards on the ground then add 5mm all round, cut it out with a jigsaw, attach the boards to the side of the studio and lift the glass into place, put 5mm packers on the lower edge, screw the glass to the central stud, then run a bead of Sikaflex adhesive/sealant around the edges to fill the 5mm gap.
Would need to treat the boards well before with varnish and/or paint to seal the edges as there would be no sill type arrangement to keep out water- ie the glass would be flush with the board. I could source some flexible rubber seal and glue'n'screw this to the upper edge like a hood to run any water off from above, and plan to keep the window close to the roof too to minimise weather effects.
Inside may require some metal lath/plaster(maybe even a cement mortar-less messy and easier to work?) formed to make it look ok as it's liable to be100mm cls studs so would need to mate the outer edge to the inner wall...
lots to think about but it could look well classy!(if done well...!)

Could you not build a window frame just as you would for a flat pane but obviously made to the radius of the glass and fit it into you studio as a bow window with window board and small probably flat roof?
The holes in the glass I would disguise with false glazing bars.

Sponsored Links
:confused: Erm...not sure if what I've posted is clear(will try and get a photo up tomorrow!).
The glass is curved but will lay down flat like a large letter C, not as extreme but the inner radius to outer radius is 30cm.
I want to turn it 90 degrees so it looks like the mouth in this sad smiley- :(

So it is in line with the building it doesn't project out at all.

Or in most simple terms from the front it should look like a glass arch(I could add thin strips of timber with adhesive to create the effect of glass voussoirs?!)...

It's the weather proofing that's the concern mainly.

Ok it's all a bit clearer now.
To be honest I'd still go with a window frame , this time flat but obviously not square. Glass can be held in with beading or even putty for that matter.
And
I'd make a couple of small circular windows to create the smiliey :D :(

"teeth" to cover the holes in the glass.

Should have thought of this before really. I've included a couple of pictures of windows in my daughters playhouse. The windows are formed by fixing a strip onto noggins and studs to form a rebate. Lead was then formed at the bottom to line the rebate and weather over the lower board. My boards are horizontal but the principal is the same with your vertical boarding. The glass is then secured with glazing silicon and the boards overlapped a little to fully water tight it.
Ok so you can probably spot the deliberate mistake in that I should have painted the internal timbers before I put the glass in :oops:
In reality both these windows are actually just square pieces of glass but the principal for you to use your section is the same.
clearly showing the lead-
_IGP1015.jpg

and another window where the timber largely hides the lead-

_IGP1013.jpg

Good ideas there LL, food for thought. Might be easier to keep the glass behind any OSB but secured against it with sealant. Could then use mastic/putty to form a 45 degree angle between the glass to the board outer side
I think whatever I do I'm looking at meticulous prep for painting/varnishing any exposed edges.

Of course the OH has yet to see the bit of glass and may want it for some other entirely different project altogether.... :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back