Cut and remove a large concrete piece

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have an old fireplace with a large concrete base in my living room. A large concrete piece is overhanging been attached to the wall. I want to remove the overhanging concrete piece to square the base. I do not want to create a lot of mess.

Any ideas how to cut it? I have plenty of time to complete it. I can work few hours every weekend until Easter. Can I use a hand saw like the ones used for aerated concrete?

Attachments

• fireplace.jpg
    fireplace.jpg
    278.2 KB · Views: 245
Sponsored Links
The only way you will ever know is to try it. I doubt that you will cut that with a handsaw though and any other way is going to cause a mess, lots of mess and the cut edge, probably, wont look very nice.

There is no mess free manual way to cut that.

if its concrete made with flint aggregate and prob with reinforcing bar, only diamond will cut it.

flint is harder than steel, so you wont cut it with any hacksaw blade.

here is a closer picture of the concrete block.

In there any angle grinder with good dust extraction system?

Attachments

• concrete block.jpg
    concrete block.jpg
    265.8 KB · Views: 209
Sponsored Links
I imagine that you will repaint it afterwards? If so, you maybe able to use a method that doesn't give you a clean cut, and patch it aftereards. That means a manual method, or the use of a breaker, maybe an option. Still messy, but not as messy as using a diamond blade in an angle grinder.

I imagine that you will repaint it afterwards? If so, you maybe able to use a method that doesn't give you a clean cut, and patch it aftereards. That means a manual method, or the use of a breaker, maybe an option. Still messy, but not as messy as using a diamond blade in an angle grinder.

Yes, I will probably add some decorative tiles or firebricks or so. I do not need a clear straight cut. Just to remove the big chunk of overhanging concrete.
what the breaker option? using wedges or hammering with a chisel?

A rotor stop SDS drill, pneumatic breaker or even stitch drilling it then using a lump hammer and chisel could work. Even if you take a bit at a time, rather than trying to just break it at the joint between the base and the overhang.

It's a hell of a lump to get through, but that is how I would approach it if I didn't want to make a huge mess.

I’d give that 6 whacks with a sledge hammer on the top level with the lower vertical bit. I bet that would fracture it then a good whack on the end of the overhang to shear it off.

A rotor stop SDS drill, pneumatic breaker or even stitch drilling it then using a lump hammer and chisel could work. Even if you take a bit at a time, rather than trying to just break it at the joint between the base and the overhang.

It's a hell of a lump to get through, but that is how I would approach it if I didn't want to make a huge mess.

As above and clean up with a scutch chisel, pig of a job though!

https://www.toolstation.com/draper-...MIpuCv9fi44AIVrZPtCh2t2AD2EAQYAiABEgL0W_D_BwE

I would take the time to build a timber cage frame and cover it with plastic sheet. The time and effort taken will be paid back by the reduction (not elimination) of mess.
you could try drilling a series of holes, widening them and adding wooden wedges to encourage a crack.

I’d give that 6 whacks with a sledge hammer on the top level with the lower vertical bit. I bet that would fracture it then a good whack on the end of the overhang to shear it off.
A sledge hammer is for girls, a karate chop would do it :ROFLMAO:

Id need a full English breakfast first though.......paid for by my boss (y)

I started drilling holes in 40 cm depth. Later on today I will do some more. then I will try to brake it with homemade wedges...
your thoughts always appreciated...

Attachments

• fireplace 1.jpg
    fireplace 1.jpg
    276 KB · Views: 139
  • fireplace 2.jpg
    fireplace 2.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 145

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back