Help - building a concrete base in garden

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I would like to create a concrete base in the garden - as part of this, I have had to dig up a lot of existing re-inforced concrete (from a WW2 bomb shelter) which I would like to use in the base (rather than getting rid of it, which will be a nightmare).

As a result, I have dug a hole which is about 45cm deep. In order to accomodate all of the rubble from the bomb shelter, I have built shuttering which also extends about 30cm above the ground.

I know the depth is overkill, but it means I can avoid having to shift the rubble.

Here come the questions:

Can I just break up the concrete into small pieces (say the size of 2 pint glasses) and place in the hole, before pouring concrete in and levelling?

Do I need to have a subbase, or will it be ok if I have small pieces (as described above) before pouring the concrete.

What about any membranes (dampproof or weed proof).

The dimensions of the area to be filled with concrete are: 2.5m x 6m).

Any help appreciated.

Read more: //www.diynot.com/forums/garden/help-building-a-concrete-base-in-garden.362404/#ixzz2QimDHOKP

Sponsored Links
OK.
Break up the concrete and top up with type 1 mot.
25mm sand blinding followed by DPM and finished with 100mm concrete.

Sponsored Links
OK.
Break up the concrete and top up with type 1 mot.
25mm sand blinding followed by DPM and finished with 100mm concrete.

Thanks.

The broken concrete - what is the maximum size of pieces that can go in? And once topped up with type 1 mot, do I need to get something to flatten/compress it?

Do I need to put anything down below the concrete/type 1 mot in order prevent roots penetrating through? We have removed as many roots as possible, but there is one root that is part of a tree we are planning on keeping that runs just under the concrete/type 1 mot. Is that likely to cause the whole base to raise/split?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back