Cut away gap between wall and house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
I have a wall that is built next to my house and this corner is always damp over the DPM.
what is the best method of cutting a 1inch gap to allow the rain water to run away rather that sit between the wall and house.
Should i buy a masonary saw or is there some form of cutter that could make mince meat if this in a few moments.
the wall runs about 6 inches down the side of the house.

would a normal builder have a tool that could cut upwards and fix this problem?
thanks all
MiltonKeynes-20110905-00012.jpg

MiltonKeynes-20110905-00015.jpg

Sponsored Links
There does appear to be an obvious flaw there. The dpc, if there is one, is breached by the brickwork in the wall. Also the coping stone directs rainwater towards the house wall.

A builder should have access to a 9" angle grinder which will relatively quickly cut through, first from one side then the other.
There will be a lot of dust and some tidying of brickwork afterwards.
There might be some consideration of the stability of the wall required afterwards.

thanks for your advice.
I have had DPC installed at the front of the house but not the back yet as the wall is the first step to remove damp then i will get a DPC instaled and start thinking about plastering after a few months of drying out.
thanks so much

If you wanted you could correct the problem.
Remove the first few lines of brickwork and rebuild it properly, with a vertical dpc and a wall starter kit.
Also the coping stone should have been cut with a mitre so that the bit nearest the wall didn't direct water towards the house wall.

Sponsored Links
There should not be a great deal of dampness migrating across purely due the way the wall is built. There is no specific staining indicating dampness at low level

The biggest problem would be that end coping stone, and the way it angles down towards the main house wall. You need some sort of angle fillet on there to cast any rainwater away from the house wall.

Also, check if those copings have a recessed drip on the overhanging section

There does also seem a lot of pointing which needs addressing

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back