Wall plate gap

19 Nov 2008
Reaction score
United Kingdom

In my living room there is a wall plate on to top of a wall, a few inches inside the outer wall of a 1906 house. There is a damp proof course between the little wall and the wall plate, that looks like treated cement, it's black. A 2-3mm gap has developed between the wall and the wall plate, so when anyone walks along that wall the floor bangs up and down.

I assume to do the job properly, the wall should be re-built, but this is quite a big job. I want to know if there is a quick fix way to fill the gap?

Any suggestions please?

Cheers, Camerart.
Sponsored Links
I would wedge between the wall & timber with slate or plywood packers every foot or so then point the rest of the gap with mortar.
if you can do this standing on the oversite,so you dont weigh the floor down.
jack the floor up,cut a load of dpc strips and pack up the wall plate,lower the floor. :D
I can only jack up to till the floorboards hit the skirting board, and the gap is just over 2MM. I'll try to slide some DPC in, if there's room.

Thanks, Camerart.
Sponsored Links
As there was little room, I packed DPC (tar based) into the gap, and it did the trick, thanks for both replies.

Cheers, Camerart.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local