Cut hard patio bricks with hand angle grinder?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it possible with the right type of disc to cut hard bricks - the simple sprung loaded hammer tap thing I bought is useless - brick cracks at any old angle if I can get it to crack. Standard dics don't make mark on them - I really don't have the money to hire a big cutting wheel on a flatbed - they are about £130 for the week or £65 for a day - I'm not going to get all the bricks cut for a 3 car front parking area and a largish patio cut in a day.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
I cut loads of block paving bricks with a 9" angle grinder and a diamond stone-cutting disk when I built my patio. Went through very easily.

Sponsored Links
OK - finally accepted I needed to buy something to get the job done - a lot for me as I don't earn anything atm. Ordered the Silverline Silverstorm 124445 230mm Angle Grinder from Amazon for £46.50.

Do you have many bricks to cut? If so buy the cheapest diamond blade you can find as it will outlast umpteen fibre stonecutting ones (and cut quicker too). I use a joiner's pencil to mark the brick accurately. Be careful to get the cuts square - it's easy to get them at all angles with a grinder.

I don't know what you would call a lot - less than 100 cuts I think - that's why I didn't fancy spending the money but I've realised there is another job it will help me with. I've ordered a pair of diamond discs
"Blue Spot 2 Piece 9 inch Diamond Cutting Disc Set" £15.38 from Amazon.

I'm not short of bricks either so I can afford to ruin a few while I get the hang of it.

I don't know if these bricks are unusually hard but I can barely cut through more than about 5-8mm before the rim of the disc is glowing white hot and I'm certainly reluctant to apply much pressure - not having used a tool like this before I don't want a slotted disc shattering. How much pressure can you safely apply? Do you think that with a bit more pressure the disc should start to cut through more easily? these bricks are just regular cuboid shaped patio bricks. Getting a straight cut looks hard - I've only tried 1 brick and had to cut round all 4 sides then use a bolster chisel to break the end off - it didn't do a great job. Is this going to work or have I got the wrong too for the job? What I'm doing is replacing all the yellow bricks with the red bricks as the past 2 -10C winters have caused nearly all of the yellow ones to start breaking up - none of the red one have ever cracked so the yellow ones are much softer I imagine, if I had to cut them but I don't want to use the yellow ones because they are a maintenance headache. Are these discs supposed to glow white? I'm thinking I really need a cutting table and some lubricant and probably a bigger disc cutter - can you get a cheap jig or sorts for a 9" cutter?

I've had cheap blades that were brilliant and just one or two that were rubbish (Blackspur). You can usually rely on the reviews that things get on Amazon. I reckon you'll be ok.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back