cutting concrete paving flags with angle grinder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to cut a strip about 20cm off two 60cm x60cm concrete flags...base for a garden storage box in a tight space
Doesn't have be a very neat edge (will be hidden), have some spare flags so if I break a couple it doesn't really matter...and I don't want to spend a fortune...

Thinking of buying a cheapish angle grinder with a couple of cheap stone cutting discs ...

Will it be a nightmare job or not too bad? Easier than having a go with a bolster chisel?

(alternative is to buy 3 x 40cm cheap flags -but am trying to get rid of 60cm ones anyway...seems silly to buy more...especailly as they are pain to get to the skip and I have been thinking of investing in an angle grinder for another job anyway...)

Sponsored Links
flags will cut neatly and easily with a grinder with diamond blade. You'll never break them straight with a bolster.

Buy the cheapest grinder you can get but not the cheapest blade.

I'm a diyer... but if you're gonna buy and angle grindr, don't get a small one (4.5in), get the big one (9in). You can buy them quite cheap nowadays - even look at lidl or that kind of shop. However, are you gonna use it again? can you borrow one? hire one? check out the costs.

Although if you have spare slabs, i'd try the bolster chisle method..... chalk your line across the slab and the tap the line really gently, lots of time with a bolster chesel and small lump hammer... Keep doing that until you have a decent channel, then give it a bit of a tap whilst it's sitting on a timber batten. Should break cleanly, but might not !!

Good luck.

Thanks -
First stupid question - can see grinding discs and cutting discs for sale - I'm assuming for this job I need (the right size!) cutting discs and they will fit on an angle grinder...

Looking at the diamond blades (toolstation) some are around £5 - would they be ok? (Also looking at the £20+ ones - which might be too much for the limited use it will have)

Why is the 9inch angle grinder so much better than the 4.5 inch?
(thinking that the 4.5 inch might be better to do more fiddly things in the future... and I can pick one up for £15 as opposed to £40)

Sponsored Links
You'll never break them straight with a bolster.

erm well i have....!! although i have laid a few slabs in my time.. and it does take practise.

now if you needed to cut a square corner out !! lol

Funnily enough the bigger grinder is easier to get in a straight line... plus the motor, usually, is bigger and can cope with the effort of cutting through a concrete slab.

Listen to r896neo - he knows his onions.

Imamartian would argue with himself if you left him in a room on his own.

Listen to r896neo - he knows his onions.

Imamartian would argue with himself if you left him in a room on his own.

err excuse me... there's no need to be so rude ffs! i've stated that i'm a diyer, and i have managed to cut paving slabs with a bolster chisel and a lump hammer many times in the past.

And if you want to consider whether i'm argumentative, then why not engage me in a sensible discussion rather that a tabloid type popularity statement of non-fact !!!

Nob !

Thanks -
First stupid question - can see grinding discs and cutting discs for sale - I'm assuming for this job I need (the right size!) cutting discs and they will fit on an angle grinder...

Looking at the diamond blades (toolstation) some are around £5 - would they be ok? (Also looking at the £20+ ones - which might be too much for the limited use it will have)

Why is the 9inch angle grinder so much better than the 4.5 inch?
(thinking that the 4.5 inch might be better to do more fiddly things in the future... and I can pick one up for £15 as opposed to £40)

This is a one off job. Go for the cheaper smaller angle grinder and stone cutting discs - Screwfix do packs of 10 for about £6 - £7 or the one's you have seen at Toolstation will do you well. But more importantly PLEASE make sure you wear some eye protectors and a dust mask.

Once you have cut a recess around the paving stone, it will soon snap with the aid of a bolster and hammer, if you dont have a bolster just keep cutting with the angle grinder, but its quite dusty!!

But you don't need to cut all the way through the slab. Just score a line on all four faces with the angle grinder then a couple of sharp taps using a 3 inch wide bolster and it'll snap nice and cleanly along the line.

And you don't need a big grinder. The cheapest 4 inch one you can find will work fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back